Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Day 30 - Tact


I should have known better. I forgot I was dealing with an artist. I know he wanted an "atta boy, the work is crushingly beautiful", but when I saw the corner. I couldn't say it. I don't know much about mastic or setting tile, but I do know grout lines are supposed to be even all around. Up, down, sideways.


Since I had to take Himself for a surgical procedure, I was not going to be in when the contractor arrived. I left a post it note. I thought it was a nice note. "Is there something that can be done to fix this?" Apparently, the contractor didn't appreciate my note. When I returned home to talk about what could be done, I felt as if I was ignored.


I would make a terrible poker player. I can't keep my thoughts from flitting across my face. He knew I was not pleased, and my note put him on the defensive. I confronted the issue and felt as if the problem was my fault. The wall wasn't plumb, the floor wasn't level in that corner. There were time constraints (which made me want to choke because according to him the bathroom was to have been completed last week!) I admit it. I lost my temper. I couldn't help it. Maybe it's watching too many Westerns. Once the ol' mare's leg clears leather, I fire. I said the corner looked like an abortion.


Why is it when a man is direct and to the point, he's applauded, lauded, admired? When a woman is direct, she's labeled as a b...witch.


I'm not looking for perfection, but I want things done right. I know in any project there are problems that crop up. He said he made that decision, but that decision wasn't his to make and we should have been informed. If the grout lines were mismatched to the bottom of the wall, in the corner behind the toilet, I wouldn't have made such an issue. But this is at eye level. This is the first area of the bathroom that is seen upon entry.


He didn't seem to want to redo some or all of the tiles on the wall under the window.


I left to take The Eldest to work. It's a 15 minute round trip. When I returned, the contractors had vanished like pixies. Two tiles were set and two spaces for electrical outlets were cut. Two boxes for the electrical stuff were inserted. Oh, and the top of the shower had buckled but hadn't been noticed. More glue and a brace was applied.


So while I simmer, I'm trying to work out how to tell him in a tactful way, he's working for us and not the other way around. If he can't do a certain thing the way I want, he needs to tell us why and offer solutions so we can make a decision. Only I know my feelings are going to get in the way and control my tongueSheriff







6 comments:

  1. Hi CJ,
    I'm so sorry about all the obstacles you've had to endure with the bathroom project. "I would have lost my lady manners, for sure." Other than that I hope all is well with you. Sure miss seeing your page on 360. Take care my friend. hugs to you! Dollydonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right that it looks awful and needs to be fixed to your satisfaction. Houses "settle", I'm sure most houses are NOT plumb, a good contractor would know how to work with that. Stick to your guns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRRRR! GET 'em! DO NOT let them get away with this. Actually, when I saw the picture, I was hoping it was a joke. It is definitely wrong. They were trying to take the easy way out. I hate men who ignore women. I hate having to become a "bitch" to get what's right because there's nothing hanging between my legs. GGRRRR!!! It happens WAY too often in too many situations... And trust me, I know. Lucky for me, I also know (typically) what's right or wrong. Sooo sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he needs to do that corner again...period! You would think he would want to admire his work and that corner is just not right. Maybe if he had just cut some of the tiles so the grout lines were lined up. That might have worked. So stick to your guns, CJ. You are paying for his services.
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! and here I was all happy thinking things were finally shapping up into a beautiful, sparkling bathroom! EWW! The uneven grout lines make it look awful..sorry to say. I'd of fired him or not paid him. Your right, you had to speak your mind. Sometimes, some men are sooo stupid, especially those who remodel a room and in their minds, things are perfect...lol, til a woman walks in and notices all the details..lmao. Hope he did it all over.

    ReplyDelete