Friday, February 1, 2008

Iris Folding


Was chatting with Lambie. She's making up some missed classes in Callinana's class. Lambie told me next week, they would be working on Iris folding to make valentines.


I wasn't sure what it was. Lambie explained it was folded strips of paper, and I started thinking origami and no way could I do that because I have problems telling my left from my other left. Question Mark A quick internet search for directions led me to Circle of Crafters where I found this heart pattern.


Strips of paper are cut and folded and then placed over the pattern and taped. You work from the reverse side. The craft originated in Holland and is reminiscent of the iris of a camera lens. The center of the iris is traditionally filled with a scrap of holographic paper, but I used a bit of cardstock and a button.


I thought it might make a good project for my class of beginners. They could make a card and then letter the inside saying. The folding directions were not difficult. Seriously, if I could do this, anyone can. However, the amount of prep time and making the card was almost an hour, half my class time. Then there is the question of supplies. Invariably, one student won't bring in any supplies for herself. Another student will run out and buy a whole book of scrapbook paper instead of finding scraps from home (e.g. gift wrap). I have tons of paper. I'm not thrilled with the idea of cutting and folding enough strips of paper for 6 people for the sake of saving time.


Then again, I'm not sure I enjoyed the craft. I'm not sure if the colors just don't grab me. They looked fine in large sheets. The heart's ok, potentially harmless. I think the folding was just too tedious for me. Nice to know, but I 'spect I'll pass.

2 comments:

  1. But through doing, you learned a lot and have another tool in your toolbox of art techniques. So profitable, even if it is pink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried any more Iris Folding projects?

    ReplyDelete