Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sweet


You know what I love about this time of the year? No, not the 10 inches of reminder in the driveway that winter is still with us. No, not Peeps. They are disgustingly sweet, though they do provide some savage amusement when placed in the microwave to explode.

I love this time of the year, because it is the only time of the year you can get Hot Cross Buns. Hot Cross Buns are made from a sweet yeast dough. Raisins, currants, or dried fruits are baked into the dough. Each bun is iced with a frosting cross. Mention Hot Cross Buns to me and I'm salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs.

The other day I had to take my ma to an eye doctor appointment. Her appointment would end around lunch time so I stopped at the supermarket to pick up some lunch items. First place I headed? Yup, the bakery. There was a whole display of tin pans filled with bunny goodness. Did I pick up an extra pan to take home to my family? D'oh!

This morning I really wanted a Hot Cross Bun. What to do, what to do? I made a batch! Well, I can't really say I made them. I had a recipe from Betty Crocker. Dumped all the ingrediments into the bread machine bucket. Pushed a button. Watched an episode of Chip Morton and voilá, Hot Cross Bun dough! I shaped them into buns, put them in a warm place to proof, and then baked them. When cool, I made a simple powdered sugar glaze.

Thanks to Betty and the bread machine, I can make them any time I want. As The Young One would say, "Sweet!"

3 comments:

  1. You don't like Peeps? I got out my lovely, year old stale ones last night. They were sooooooooooo good.

    The Hot Cross Buns look great! Can't you buy the dough boy ones and just defrost too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, we have an evil, old-fashioned bakery 8 blocks from my house that makes the best hot cross buns (they really are very good, what makes them "best" is *I* don't have to make them - and they're 8 blocks away!)
    As for Peeps, I'm not a fan either. HOWEVER, that being said, I just heard about roasting peeps like you would a marshmallow - the sugar crystalizes like creme brulee and then you put it in a 'smore. Pure evil!!

    ReplyDelete