Friday, January 16, 2009

Out of the Comfort Zone


A friend asked me to do some lettering she wants to silk screen onto a tee shirt for her son. I thought it might be fun to offer a funky design besides a more traditional look.


I stepped out of my comfort box this week and played around with some altertate writing tools. I tried a reed pen, Kangaroo pens given to me by my friend, Karen Ter Haar from Australia, and a variety of folded pens made from beer and soda cans.


This design was done with a beer can pen. After week's worth of practice and a ream of paper, I finally got loose enough to enjoy what I was making. It's pleasant. Potentially harmless. (Stuffed the Little Inner Critic in her envelope with a piece of duct tape over her mouth!) I especially like the first "R", the "O" and the "N".


What have you done recently that made you get out of your comfort zone?

1 comment:

  1. out of my comfort zone...man, conviction, I haven't done anything outside my comfort zone in a long while...I'm practicing being a slug...pretty comfortable.

    ReplyDelete