Monday, September 20, 2010

M.A.H.O.D.

The school the Young One attends is a tech school, and the techies do love their acronyms. I was surprised to find acronyms had evaded her art class when she told me she had to work on her M.A.H.O.D. Make A Habit of Drawing. The instructor compared art to sports or music. Athletes and musicians practice every day to improve their skill. She told her students artists should do the same.

The instructor gave the students a list of things she wanted them to draw: a comic panel, tree, their foot, hands in various positions. I decided to play along too as I can use the practice, especially when it comes to drawing hands (I make mittens)

This exercise is an example of Ukiyo-e. Japanese wood block prints. The illustration was taken from Kendo master, Miyamoto Musashi's (c. 1584 - 1645) philosophical text and life's work, The Book of Five Rings.

My samurai looks tipsy. Perhaps, he's a master in the Drunken Master technique, a style comprised of unpredictable movements and surprise attacks. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. Rent the movie The Legend of the Drunken Master starring Jackie Chan to see a master in action. Good movie.

If you're involved in an artistic or athletic pursuit, do you practice every day?

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! of course the instructor is right. I took Kristen Doty's class at the Red Deer conference. She had us draw a geisha girl - upside down. The results were amazing! When I saw this guy I wondered if you had done him upside down... She uses the same techniques as the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

    ReplyDelete