Monday, December 27, 2010

Blizzard 2010

We're still in the middle of the first significant snowstorm of the season. By Minnesota standards, our foot of snow (so far) is  a flake on the shovel. The weather dudes are calling this the Blizzard of 2010 (nothing as colorful as Snowmageddon, the storm that collapsed the Metrodome roof) Our storm met the criteria for blizzard conditions (sustained winds or wind gusts over 35 mph, snow, and reduced visibility for 3 hrs or more).

It's still snowing this morning (7:30 am) though hard to tell how much snow we've gotten because of the drifts. Still windy as the ribbon on the lamp post is acting like a windsock. The wind is blowing in from the northeast. Happily the mailbox survived the plows (so far), we still have electricity, and there's still candy in the candy house.

It would be nice if this was the first and last storm for the winter, but I doubt it. In the meantime, I'll keep my eye on the First Day of Summer widget I installed. Only 175 more days!

What's it like out your window today?

9 comments:

  1. First and last storm! Imagine that! That would be the ultimate-- I think that thought alone will get me through January. We can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raining, almost always raining in Portland, OR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, CJ. This too shall pass. It is snowing again (or still, not sure which) here too. We are over 40 inches for the month. Days like this I put on my favorite fuzzy socks and favorite sweatshirt. Been wearing them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, the thought of being out in the sunroom in a hundred days or so, will keep me going.

    Cos, you gave up beautiful snow for rain?

    Linda, The Young One gave me fuzzy socks for Christmas. Think they will be part of my winter uniform

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic! I'm not sorry it's rather mild this winter at our place. Last year was Snowmagedden here (LOL I love that!) This year we've had one major storm and that's about it. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One storm is more than enough, Georgiana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous sunshine and about 15 degrees. Beautiful hoarfrost is now melting and drifting in the slight breeze.


    stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're the same as Portland, OR, raining, 45F. And yes, I traded wintry Alberta for rainy BC... mostly we don't have to shovel here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous sunshine and three and a half feet of snow, Erica?

    Bev, I don't shovel here, either.
    (-;

    ReplyDelete