Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What A Maroon!

I forgot I had signed up for the Strathmore Online Workshop Series. The first workshop, Doodles Unleased with Traci Bautista started 1. January. The saving grace is the workshops are self-paced, and the classrooms are open until 1. August. Whew! So I have plenty of time to catch up.

Oh, and did I mention the workshops are free? Strathmore's online classroom has video instructions as well as instructions to download (I've downloaded the instructions to the iPad so I can have the reference at the drafting table without having to jump back and forth to the computer). There is also an online discussion where students can ask the instructor questions and a Flikr group to upload the assignments.

The first exercise involves creating layers of doodles beginning with stencils. It's a chance to experiment with new materials and techniques.  My little aquarium is not as abstract as the instructions. Couldn't help it once I found the fish stencil the piece evolved on its own. Nearly done, I want to add a layer of lettering, but trying to figure out how to make the lettering fade into the background, but still be prominent and easily read.

Have you ever started a project thinking you were going in one direction, but found you ended up in an entirely different direction?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! And it usually ends up better than what I had planned to begin with!

    ReplyDelete