Friday, June 29, 2012

The Friday Five

My friend Iowa took kids from her German class on a tour of Germany.  I took a trip during April vacation another lifetime ago in 1973. We pretty much saw the country through a tour bus window. So five places I'd like to revisit with a little more time to explore. Ya'll listening, Iowa?


München, Munich. We got to drive by the 1972 Olympic Village. It would be nice to see the Marianplatz, the main square of the city during the daylight. Though the Hofbräuhaus was lots of fun at night and where I had my first taste of beer.

The Alps. We went by the Zügspitze, the highest peak in the German Alps. I'd like to go to the top. Top of the world, Ma!














Oberammergau. The shops had the most beautiful murals painted on them. This was my favorite, a shoe store with the tale of Aschenputtel (Cinderella). I wonder if this store is still in business? I'd also like to be there when the Passion Play is performed. Residents of the village made a vow to perform the play every 10 years, if God spared them from the effects of the bubonic plague. The play is now performed in years ending in zero. Iowa, how 'bout planning a trip for 2020?


During my trip, Germany was a divided country. We visited East Berlin and passed through Checkpoint Charlie. The wall is gone and it would be interesting to see the changes.
Heidelberg. Rather than looking down on the town from  the ruins of the Rose castle, I'd like to be able to wander the town and visit the University.










Are there any places you would like to go back and visit?

2 comments: