Thursday, December 10, 2015

Throwback Thursday

Many years ago, and another life time away when I was in college, I was engaged to be married. As it turned out, things with the relationship didn't go well, and I ended up breaking the engagement on a cold, Christmas Eve morning. Yes, I have impeccable timing.

After getting back into the dating game, and dating a string of young men all named Tom (very weird coincidence), I was lamenting to Ma in a 20-something, melodramatic way, I just wanted to hear bells when I was with "THE One". She, of course, relayed this gem to long time friends, Charlie and his wife, Doris.

During the middle of the Great Depression, Dad met Charlie at the Settlement House in East Boston. Charlie was a social worker, and had started a boys and girls club at the Settlement House. Dad, in his teens, was hanging out there, and Charlie took Dad under his wing. Charlie gave Dad odd jobs to do, either at the club or at his house. When Dad dropped out of high school, Charlie convinced him to go back to school, and Dad lived with Charlie and his family for awhile.

So, the following Christmas, or maybe it was in July because we sometimes had Christmas in July with Charlie and Doris because of bad weather at Christmas, Charlie sent me a small, brass bell so I would always hear bells. Charlie was a practical joker, but the bell became a fixture on my Christmas tree.

Charlie passed away before Himself and I became an item. So Charlie,  I just wanted to let you know. I hear bells every single day.


Diffusing: Joy, an essential oil blend by Young Living Essential Oils. Joy is blended from Bergamot, Lemon, Palmarosa, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Geranium, Jasmine, Roman Chamomile, Coriander, Tangerine.

2 comments: