Thursday, February 4, 2016

Throwback Thursday

I wore shoes similiar to the picture on a trip to Minnesota for a Western Writers' Convention. Ok, it was for fan fic writers of the 60s television series, The Big Valley. The Young One had come with me because she reminded me as I was making travel plans, I had taken The Eldest to a calligraphy convention when The Eldest was 10 years old. The Young One was 16 years old and had never flown on an airplane. So I took my similar shoes and the Young One to Minnesota.

On the last day of our stay, a riverboat brunch cruise on the Mississippi had been arranged. The Young One and I were waiting to board with our group. A flock of elderly ladies approached us. (They were probably the same age I am now. What a difference in perspective a few years makes.)

This group of women suddenly swarmed around The Young One and me.  They were "oohing" and "aahing" over my shoes. I politely told the ladies what catalog I had found the shoes in when they asked.

Now, I don't have an Inner Child. A combination of  being from New England, a strict upbringing reinforced by parochial school produced my Inner Puritan. I am reserved by nature especially around strangers. I don't like hugs from strangers or other public displays of affection. So when the ladies reached down and began petting and fondling my shoes, my little Inner Puritan  looked liked:



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The Young One and I are still traumetized by it
      :-D

      Delete
    2. Oops, traumatized. See, I'm so upset I can't spell correctly

      Delete
  2. Like when you're pregnant and total strangers think it's okay to touch/rub your belly!!!! :-/

    ReplyDelete