Thursday, May 19, 2016

Throwback Thursday





I came across an article about an artist who recreated a 19th century photography study in 1:12 scale. The studio reminded me of author friend, Erica Vetsch's novel, A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City.

Erica and I were chatting about the authenticity of the little studio. I noticed there was a pose as a scantily clad bathing beauty wood cut outs. While amusing, not accurate for the time period. Women wore bathing dresses complete with bloomers, stockings, and a mob cap.

This also triggered a memory of a song Ma taught me when I was little. She would sing "Roll 'em, girls. Roll 'em. Roll 'em down and show your shaggy knees" The song is from the 1920s by Billy Murray. It was a song Ma most likely heard as a kid growing up in the 20s. (Ma was born in 1918). And I'm sure as kids do, the lyrics were changed from "pretty knees" to "shaggy knees"

2 comments:

  1. You've broadened my horizons. I hadn't heard Roll'em Girls before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the 'bathing beauties' right away! So wrong for the time period! I enjoyed the song! :)

    ReplyDelete