Thursday, October 27, 2016

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Samuel Adams School, East Boston
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passsed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Our playground was the streets. Of course, I gave trouble. When I was eligible to go to kindergarten, I would cry and wanted to go home. I got sent home and for a while my mother would take me to school. I would cry and be sent home and it was finally decided that I would be enrolled for first grade. [ed: I don't blame Dad for wanting to go home. Because Dad was left-handed, the teacher tied his left-hand to the chair to force him to write with his right hand.]

First grade was ok for me. I met up with my second love, the teacher. She was a looker. Miss Mulidy. I talked my mother to have her come for dinner. I pestered and she agreed.. But it was for lunch. I was in my glory and she [ed: the teacher] had an Italian dinner and I went back to school with her.

My second grade was a disaster. I didn't like my teacher. She wasn't so hot looking. She was old. To make matters worse, I got hit with yellow jaundice and stayed out most of the year as it was catching. So I had to do the second grade over again.

2 comments:

  1. OH! Tying his hand to the chair! How awful! I don't blame him for crying and wanting to go home! Didn't his mother complain to the school? (I realize it was a different time, but I would think as a mother she would have been upset.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember his mother was an immigrant. I don't think she would have challenged authority.

      Delete