Sunday, February 12, 2017

Garden Kites

Last week or so, I noticed that my garden kites finally flew away. See the vertical strings to the right of the picture? Those are all that's left of the kites. Ephemeral art, they hung on longer than I expected.

If you're new to the blog or just want to linger a little longer, you can read about the what and how of the Garden Kites here and here.

Because I didn't get out to take a picture of the strings before the snow started flying, I had to take the picture hanging out of the dining room window and only 2 of the strings are in frame. The vertical string on the far left was an image of St. Jude made in the hope of The Young One finding a good job that she would love doing and would make her financially independent. After 2 1/2 years of nearly there and lots of rejections, my prayers (and the Young One's) were finally answered.  Bittersweet that the St. Jude kite is gone. I really loved the little drawing. However, the message is clear. Time for St. Jude to help someone else.

9 comments:

  1. Brrrr....maybe St Jude went looking for warmer climes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe these were made from brown paper bags. They held up longer than I would have expected. Now you have an excuse to make more, and can celebrate both the Eldest and Youngest getting good jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper bags are extremely durable. I've hung out weathergrams for 6 mos. that have survived. bleached and faded, but still hanging together.

      Delete
  3. Those kits were really cool, and I guess it is just time to make some new ones. There must something new you need to put a kite out for. :) Maybe just to get this snow to stop falling! Ha-ha-Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought about snow stopping but that would be a good one! Was thinking about one for the Spring Equinox

      Delete
  4. Wow, what an amazing idea! This is so special! I am going to make some up! Brown paper bags, so amazing! Thank you for sharing! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are a take on Llyod Reynold's Weathergrams. Paper bags or Kraft paper, inexpensive, and lasts quite a long time.

    ReplyDelete