Sunday, February 19, 2017

Santa's Got A Brand New Hat


While cleaning, I came across a poor, broken Christmas ornament. A year or so ago, Woodland Santa took a spill and a corner of his hat shattered in a million fragments. I didn't want to throw the ornament out. It was one of the more expensive ornaments we have. We bought it from Vaillancourt Folk Art (right here in my little, town) when they had a glass blowing demonstration one Summer. At least I think Santa came from that event.

The glass blower was a young, German fellow and using a mold technique he blew the ornament into shape ready to be painted and decorated. Signed by him ornaments were already packaged and we purchased one at the event.



I wasn't sure what to do with broken Santa. The fragments were so delicate and there were too many to try to glue.  While strolling the Interwebs, I came across a blog where a woman showed how she repaired some of her broken ornaments. Since the crocheting bug bit, I thought I would crochet Santa a new hat. As I was looking through my folders for directions I found this cute yarn hat ornament made from a strip of toilet paper tubing I had saved. Santa's head was a little smaller, but the project was easily adaptable. I salvaged a cherished ornament, got to recycle, and use up red yarn I had, and the project took less time than it would if I had to crochet the little hat. Win. Win.



So, Santa has a brand new hat, and I'm insufferably pleased with myself.

10 comments:

  1. That was really smart, especially since the ornament has some meaning. I have a few Christmas ornaments I need to fix. Our tree is full of ornaments with meaning and I just hate to get rid of them. Hope you are getting lotsof melt with this gorgeous weather! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just didn't want to throw it out. Other than the corner, it was still good. So glad the little hat worked out.

      Yes,we are getting a good melt. If you are on Winter break, the fine weather should be with us all week!

      Delete
  2. Aren't you creative. Way to go, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly, that really looks like an expensive ornament, and signed by the artist makes it even more meaningful. But of course, I simply adore the recycling you did and turned a disaster into a meaningful ornament, again. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vaillancourt ornaments are expensive. Even though the value of the ornament is diminished, I'm glad I was able to save it from the trash.

      Delete
  4. You should be insufferably pleased with yourself!! BRILLIANT is the only word for it!! ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your mind works! This was such a great idea! Santa looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete