Tuesday, February 21, 2017

T Stands For Guilt

Last Tuesday was Valentine's Day. I placed a maple bacon pork loin in the slow cooker quite pleased with myself that we'd have a very nice, Valentine's dinner. I'm happily reading and commenting on the T Stands For posts. I'm salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs as I view cakes with gorgeous, piped frosting roses, strawberries glistening like heart-shaped, rubies, a berry bejeweled cake, and assorted other goodies and then it hits me. Guilt.

While I had a nice dinner prepared and an afternoon mostly to myself, I never got beyond thinking about dessert. Oh No! By now, it was rather late in the afternoon to start baking an elaborate dessert. Pawing through the pantry, I found a boxed, chocolate cake mix. What could I do to make it not look and taste like a boxed, chocolate cake mix?

Help, me, Betty (Crocker)
Help, help me Betty (sung to the tune of the Beach Boy's Help Me Rhonda)

While there were some delicious recipes to transform a boxed cake mix into extraordinary, I didn't have any of the necessary ingredients on hand, and I was running out of time. All I had as an extra was a bag of mint chocolate chips.

I baked the cake with the addition of a teaspoon of vanilla extract according to package directions in a bundt cake pan. When it was cooled, I melted the mint chocolate chips with a couple of tablespoons of butter to make a half-assed ganache. A few candy sprinkles and voilĂ , a not so ordinary chocolate cake.

Now, truth be told, the feelings of guilt were wholly on me. Himself or the girlies would never complain if there wasn't a fancy dessert or no dessert at all. (Well, there might be a few good-natured grumblings if there were no cookies in the cheap hotel) But after seeing all the cakes and goodies online, I felt they deserved a blue plate special dessert. I treated myself to cake and a cup of Bigelow's English Teatime from the blue and white mug Ma gave to me. A friend of hers had given her four blue and white mugs. Two with flowers and two with butterflies. When I first got married and was setting up house, she gave me the mugs knowing that blue is my color and also that she would have a pretty mug for tea or coffee when she came to visit.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang are up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. I think a boxed chocolate cake sounds delicious. Actually anything chocolate sounds good to me. I think the chip ganache is an excellent idea. Most of the things I bake are not very exciting either, but baking is something I really enjoy doing and every now and again it feels good to challenge myself. I bet everyone enjoyed it. Hope you are enjoying this not quite so wintery weather. :) I sure am. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boxed cake was delicious. Good comfort food. And yes, this unseasonably warm weather is wonderful. No complaints if I never see snow again.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Happy T day, I am new joining in the fun-your cake sounds delicious. I love to bake but I was never good at making fancy cakes-they are lovely to view though nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to meet you. I'm rather new to the group, too, but enjoy the Tuesday meme.

      Delete
  3. Your cake and the pork both sound great. I usually bake because cake from the baker's is so expensive to buy. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cakes from the bakery only on very special occasions. I just wish ih ahd the piping skills of the bakers.

      Delete
  4. Love your dinnerware and your cake looks yummy and beautiful! I'm sure it was appreciated. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was yummy and every bite was appreciated. Hardly a crumb was left.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your cake looks very decadent and a scrummy Valentine's Day treat! I love Betty Crocker too and have a couple of her cookbooks :-). The blue design on your mugs is very beautiful and it must be wonderful to be reminded of your mum each time you use them :-). I'm off to raid my kitchen for chocolate now ... ha-ha! Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Betty Crocker cookbook that was given to me when I was a new bride. Still refer to it from time to time. Actually, if I look around my house, there are lots of things that remind me of Ma as I inherited her knickknacks and some furniture.

      Delete
  6. I got a big laugh from your guilt. Sorry, but I had to laugh, especially a the "half-assed" part. I had no idea what a ganache was until you told me. I'm rather dessert and baking challenged.

    Thanks for sharing your bundt cake dessert and your incredible dishes and mug with us for T this Tuesday. BTW, my kitchen is white with copper and cobalt blue decor. Those dishes would fit in quite well at my place (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of half-assed cooking and baking. i don't like fussy recipes. Like things quick and simple. I wouldn't have known what ganache was either except The Eldest loves to watch cooking shows. I've picked up the jargon but not the techniques. :-D Your cobalt accepts would look stunning here in the dollhouse. (-;

      Delete
  7. Good for you coming up with something last minute.. :) With our kitchen in disarray i haven't baked much for quite some time.. Don't even know where my bundt cake is packed away... lol Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last minute is my middle name. At some point, you'll find the box when you don't need the pan.

      Delete
  8. I like boxed cake mix just as it is lol. Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I do, too, but after reading about everyone's special Valentine's desserts, I wanted to make something special, too.

      Delete
  9. The cake looks terrific and you made it special for sure

    Happy T day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was delicious, moist, chocolately and minty fresh.

      Delete
  10. For some strange reason the reply under each comment is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake looks really delicious. Time to feel guilty after it has been eaten and enjoyed.
    Happy T Day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever idea! It would have been nothing as exciting here! Your cake looks really beautiful! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprinkles like glitter go along way to make cake look fancy

      Delete
  13. That cake looks delish! I must admit, I have never tired the boxed premixes (I'm much too suspicious: what have they put in it that I wouldn't be able to throw together in the same amount of time etc). The mint goes very well with the chocolate and I'm sure your family were more than happy. In the meantime I am salivating as it is nearly lunchtime here.
    Belated happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use them often, but they are convenient. I'm not a big fan of mint, but it is quite tasty with chocolate.

      Delete
  14. Great post! Your cake looks yummy, and I love mint with chocolate. your family certainly benefitted from your guilt! Too funny... Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guilt? You just made me realize that's it after noon and I spent the whole morning visiting the T ladies - lol! Time to get some work done. I bet the cake was delicious with your ingenious extra touches.

    Happy T-day, CJ! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete