Saturday, February 18, 2017

You're Only Old Once



After I showed the plant stake spoons I made for Himself for Valentine's Day, I was asked what gift did he give me. He is always thoughtful, and I'm never forgotten.




I got a fabulous and funny pop-up card. And it doesn't rhyme! Himself and I don't particularly care for cards that rhyme.

He gave me a bag of chocolate hearts. I don't have a picture because we shared them, and the few that were left I shared with the girlies. They were delicious. The chocolate hearts, not the girlies. Though there have been times in their growing up years when I understood why some animals eat their young.



I got a Dr. Seuss book, You're Only Old Once. Yes, it's a bit of a dig as I'm a year older than Himself., but I love Dr. Seuss. The very first book I was able to read all by myself was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. This book details the trials and tribulations of dealing with aches, pains, and doctor visits. My dad used to say growing old isn't for the faint of heart. That sentiment is expressed in a very funny way as only Dr. Seuss can.


Several years ago, I did an ATC exchange with my friend, Lambie. One month's theme was Dr. Seuss. I chose the quote, "You're in pretty good shape for the shape you are in." I knew it was attributed to Dr. Seuss, but didn't know its context. It came from You're Only Old Once.

I also received a beautiful cyclamen. And when he presented the plant to me, I asked, "Was it free?" See, Himself doesn't usually bring me flowers. Unless they are free. Or he feels guilty because some students gave him a bunch of flowers to thank him for extra help. Or in this case, because he went shopping and had a coupon.

I don't really have a green thumb. Sometimes, I look at plants, and they wither and die. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this one going longer than a day or two.

9 comments:

  1. That's a fun Valentine's Day gift. The card cracks me up. I love the little chipmunks on it. :) He has a good sense of humor and you sound like you married a good one too! (As I did also.) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the card especially we still like to write each other little notes. And the notes written are take out the trash, buy milk, call the plumber :-D Himself is very funny and a keeper, for sure.

      Delete
  2. ....sometimes I look at plants and they wither and die...... We must be sisters separated at birth...lol. What a nice V-day Himself made you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one with a black thumb. IT was a very nice Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  3. He did great! Love the understanding why animals eat their young comment. Heh heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, he did. Until you've dealt with teens, the understanding of animals eating their young is lost on you.

      Delete
  4. Well, I've never had children, but I have two cats that I've threatened to do similar things to when they misbehave. Actually, I prefer throwing them to the wolves.

    But I laughed and laughed at your funny Valentine. And I would gladly take that awesome plant off your hand (grin). I'm pretty good with keeping plants out of the compost pile.

    Sorry I missed this one before, but glad I came, if for nothing more than the laugh I got from the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pop-up cards and this one is cute and funny. So far, the plant seems to be doing ok. We'll see if it's still going at the end of the week. Thanks for dropping by

      Delete
  5. Awww, he did wonderful!! Love everything!

    ReplyDelete