Saturday, September 30, 2017

Anonymous Comments

Lately, I've been getting a lot of anonymous comments on old blog posts. The comments end up in a spam folder.  Usually, the comments have nothing to do with the post in question. I suspect these comments are either phishing or bots, and I delete them.

Earlier this week, Anonymous asked for some advice on starting a blog. So Anonymous, this is for you. Last year, I wrote a post with some tips for blogging. You can read the blog post here.

In addition, let me add this. To be honest, anonymous makes you look like an Internet troll. I have received anonymous comments, but the author also includes his or her name. I treat anonymous the same way I treat phone calls where I don't recognize the name or number on Caller ID. I don't answer those calls. If it's important, the caller will leave a voicemail. If you want me to answer you, even if you are commenting as anonymous, leave a comment that has to do with the topic and leave your name. Let me know there's a real person behind the comment and not a phishing scam or a bot.

If you are sincere about starting your own blog, you can't be anonymous. Does anyone else have any other tips to help Anonymous?




14 comments:

  1. I think anonymous needs to get a name. I have one of my regular visitors who always comments under anonymous, but with name, and as I know her personally, this is no problem. But others get deleted quickly! Have a nice weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;m with you. No name, no reply. If you call with a number I don't recognize, I don't answer.A name is important because people need to know who you are. A blog is about you, right? Good luck with anonymous and I hope you get to meet who she is on line. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were right the first time...it's either phishing or a bot...delete it and forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always said that I have caller ID for a reason and the same logic applies for blogs, Facebook, etc. I have found out the hard way that when dealing with social media, one must be VERY careful. My red flags always go up when I see messages on my blog dashboard from "anonymous."

    In fact, the entire reason I moderate my comments to my posts is because of either spam/phishing or just plain crazy or nasty people. Strangers who do not know me and yet feel the need to troll. Frankly, many are simply just cowards in my view.

    Best of luck to you, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only moderate if the post is a few days old. Blogger does a good job of picking up the spam.

      Delete
  5. I learned the hard way, after checking my spam folder that blogger suggested we check every so often, the same was happening to me. SO, I removed anonymous from the choice of options people have. They can troll, but they certainly can no longer comment.

    Your dear anonymous friend (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, if you ever get a phone call from B.F. Skinner, it's me. I've conditioned you to call. Seriously, I learned the phone number can be listed in the phone book under ANY name as long as I used my real name to pay the bill. Having an unlisted number (at least used to) cost extra.

      Delete
    2. If I ever get a call from B.F. Skinner, I'll freak. I have visited him at Mt. Auburn Cemetery and I have a photo of his grave.

      Delete
    3. Send me your phone number and when I call, it will come up on your caller ID as B.F. Skinner, HONEST!

      Delete
  6. Good luck CJ! I get them too! You are doing the right things! I think anonymous should look on YouTube! LOL!

    ReplyDelete