Sunday, September 3, 2017

How Does Your Garden Grow?


At the base of the bird feeder, someone molted.


I thought flowers would bloom from this weed, but instead, it erupted with soft fluffy seeds waiting for the wind to carry them away.


Tiny dandelions emerge before the lawn guy mows over them.


Witnessed an odd phenomenon. One of the bunnies while munching grass suddenly stood upright. He stayed that way for a good 10 minutes. I've seen them stand still for long periods. It's one of their defense mechanisms, but I've never seen them stand upright.


The new bunny's name is Cinnamon because of the cinnamon patch of fur on the back of his/her neck.


Hydrangea blossoms fade to shades of pale blue and mauve.


Up back in the woods, a sign Fall is on the way. Leaves are starting to turn yellow.


Several years ago, the Eldest purchased this plant from the Sutton Garden Club's annual plant sale. Whatever this plant is, it's blooming pink. The Eldest's favorite color.


Last week, Magic Crow solved the mystery of the missing sunflower petals. She told me sunflower petals are a favorite snack of Goldfinches. After she told me that, I saw a male goldfinch on the sunflower head. The sunflower is looking very sad.


In the meadow garden, goldenrod towers above the snow flurry of white, heath aster blossoms.

How does your garden grow?

14 comments:

  1. What a glorious garden and bunnies. Ten minutes standing up...wow! I don't even like to stand up for ten minutes. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking great, my balcony is looking rather sad....Love the idea of naming the bunny cinnamon. Perhaps the next one will be coffee. Here the bunnies are mostly a bit lighter in colour. My sunflowers have been eaten completely, the birds have left nothing except the stalks! Enjoy your lovely corner or paradise! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee isn't my cup of tea, but maybe a compromise. Since the bunny names follow a food theme perhaps, Coffee Cake. :-D

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking like mine. The plants are all looking worn out and flowering but not like they did a month ago. :( This summer is ending too fast. I hope this isn't a sign that winter is just around the corner. Ugh. Enjoy the rain and hopefully a relaxing day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the garden is looking a bit tired. Summer felt like it had just begun and now it's over. Winter is coming as they say on Game of Thrones. Deep sigh. Forlorn look.

      Delete
  4. My garden is in such bad shape, I cut much of it down yesterday. I think yours looks MUCH better than mine right now. Love the hydrangea and wish I had one. They make good blooms to dry, too. I'm impressed, but have no idea what the pink bush is. If it isn't a traditional rose or a sunflower, I don't have a clue what it is (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good with recognizing flowers, either. Weeds or blooms, I'm happy they grow and provide color.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is still looking lovely and that hydrangea is such a gorgeous blue! I like the faded flower heads too, they always look vintage to me 😁. I love cinnamon and his patch of fur on his neck, you named him perfectly. Sorry I haven't been around to visit, we have family staying for the week and I just haven't found the time. I'll be catching up the best I can before bedtime and in the early morning, if I'm not too tired ...lol 😉. Wishing you a great new week and Happy September! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the yard is surrounded with oak trees, the soil is very acidic. Acidic soil = brilliant blue hydrangeas. My favorite color. The name Cinnamon just seemed to fit. I wonder if he calls himself Bob :-D Enjoy your company and have a great week.

      Delete
  6. Hey CJ! Great pictures! Love the bunny one standing up! Very cool! I'm pretty sure I know what your pink plant is, because I have several of them. Is the plant kind of rubbery like? If I am seeing things right, you have a type of "sedum". There are tones of different types of sedums. They are great, because basically you don't have to do anything with them. The one you and I have, after they start to turn yellow for fall, you cut them right down to nothing, and then for summer next year, they will start to grow again. This type of sedum will grow very large! You can also instead of just throwing them away in fall, cut them down, tie them up and hang them in a cool dry area and let them dry. They are very pretty dried and keep for a long time! Look up "sedum" and you will find many different images and links. I love ground cover sedum too, because all of these are drought resistant! Big Hugs! (Sorry about the long message!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your photographs ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete