Sunday, September 10, 2017

How Does Your Garden Grow?


This mourning dove enjoys sitting by the water.


On early morning rounds to fill the feeders, the moon was still out.


Nearly 2 inches of rain this week.


A mourning dove was sitting on Ink's statute. Byt the time I took the picture, he was taking off.


The squirrel sat on the perch to get the seeds, but he's too heavy so his weight closes the hatch.


The grackles arrived en masse at the back feeder for an afternoon snack. They are preparing for their winter migration. Usually, they arrive in mid-October. Don't know if their early arrival portends an early or bad Winter. I hope they just found an easy food supply. Maybe sometimes a grackle is just a grackle.


The front feeder sees some grackle action, too.


The oak trees leaves are starting to turn yellow. The oaks drop their leaves late in November.


The leaves of the tall maple are starting to turn red. These will be the first leaves to fall within the next week or two.

How does your garden grow?


8 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking good. You really had a a lot of feathered visitors this week, and the photo with the dove taking off is great. Have a nice afternoon, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always lots of birds at the feeder. Cardinals, goldfinches, sparrows, nuthatches, mourning doves. The feeder must be like an office watercooler. Always someone there.

      Delete
  2. I think the leaves are turning early this year. Maybe like the grackles they are trying to tell us something. I guess I can't even think about what they are trying to tell us yet. Too scary. But your garden is looking good. Mine is getting rather ratty and brown. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden looks tired. Only the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies are energetic.

      Delete
  3. Gosh CJ, I've ever even heard of a grackle. I don't think your garden looks as tired as mine did before I cut it back a great deal last week. Yours looks like it's still growing strong. I can't believe your trees are turning already. Autumn is definitely on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grackles are like starlings. We're right on time for turning leaves. Our peak color is around Columbus Day

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures CJ! I hope it's not going to be an early winter! You know I love winter, but I want some fall too! We have tones of grackles too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could skip Fall and Winter. I want more Summer!

      Delete