Monday, October 30, 2017

Oh, Bother

Two storms converged one from the West and the remnants of Tropical Storm Phillipe coming up the East coast. Just in case, I did a bit of storm prep. Filled up the water buckets so we could flush the toilet. Completely forgot about filling up pitchers for drinking water, though there were a few small bottles of water in the pantry.

The rain began Sunday afternoon and came down in buckets by late afternoon and the evening. The howling wind whistling around the eaves woke me up around 2 AM. Himself was up and it took my sleepy brain a few minutes to process, we were without electricity. I heard him banging around the garage getting the generator going and retrieving the battery back-up for his CPAP machine.

I reported the power outage to the electric company. Himself came upstairs. Bad news. He couldn't get the generator or the back-up running for the sump pump. The basement was flooded. Pooh would say, "Oh, bother." But that's not the expression I used

Nothing to be done but to go back to bed. Maybe in the morning, the electricity would be back on. No such luck. At least the rain had stopped but no morning tea. Oh, bother. Himself decided he would try to make it to the college. They had electricity.

Checking the town site on Facebook, 11 trees were down and some roads around town were impassable. The electric company had no estimate on when electricity would be restored. Oh, bother. Others reported flooded basements. At least we weren't alone. Schadenfreude.

At 12:45 PM, the electricity came back on. Happy Dance! First thing, flush the toilet. Second thing, make a cup of tea. Life is good. Of course, the shop vac wouldn't work so clean-up could begin. Oh, bother. Himself will bring a shop vac with him on his way home.




16 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had such a lot of "bother" at the weekend. Yes, I would have used a stronger word, too. Good that the power outage was "only" for a few hours, but it must have seemed much longer till you got your tea. Hope today is better. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday afternoon, the winds are still blowing though seem to have died down. Good news. I'm bring drinking copious amounts of tea to make up not having a cup of tea first thing in the morning.

      Delete
  2. "Bother" indeed ...lol 😉. Glad to hear you and your hubby are ok and that your electricity is back on after the storms. It must have been the best cup of tea ever ...lol 😁. Hope things are back to normal soon, thinking of you and wishing you well! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. We're fine and the flooded basement will make me go down there to clean instead of talking about cleaning. :-D

      Delete
  3. Oh bother! :( :( :( That stinks. Hope the basement dries out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as Himself gets home with the new shop vac! Or maybe tomorrow =^,.^=

      Delete
  4. It is like the old Rosanne Rosannadanna saying goes, "It's always something." (isn't it?)

    Hope you get your basement cleaned up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a crazy wind storm that was. And lots of water too. This morning the sides of the roads looked like lakes. And we had no power, and I was sure I would come home to no power, but low and behold, it was back on. I know what you mean about doing a happy dance! At least I had a 2 hour delay this morning so I could sleep a little later since the wind kept me up a lot of the night. Happy for us both to have lights and cups of tea again! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm was wicked, that's for sure. Glad you had electricity when you got home.

      Delete
  6. Oh bother! But glad the electricity is back! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bother wouldn't have been MY words, either, but believe me, I know about flooded basements and I don't have a sump pump, working or not. Hope it doesn't take you as long to clean your mess as it did mine. So I hope we see you for T drinking copious amounts in your quest to clean your bother basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basement was overdue for a good clean and I had been dragging my heels to get it done. Now it should go a lot quicker as most of the stuff will have to be pitched.

      Delete
  8. CJ.....sorry; I know only to well what it's like to be flooded. I hope the rains have stopped, the weather's greatly improved; your able to get dried out and you eat a whole damn bag oh pumpkin chocolate chips.... just because you can ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry CJ!!!!! I'm glad your electricity is back on!! I would be flushing the toilet first too! LOL! I hope your basement is ok!!!

    ReplyDelete