Thursday, October 12, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Also, the war clouds were growing in Europe. The country's connection was somewhat split. It didn't concern us.

Hitler was grabbing more and more area. And pushing non-Germans out of Germany and his hatred of Jews.

As things progressed, however, the leadership thought that we should prepare just in case and instituted the draft.

At the time, I was working at the Boy's Club and I registered for the draft there.

At the time we were considered a third class power by the experts and they gave an example that we could be the Czechoslovakian army but would have a hard time doing it.

Charlie who had studied at Columbia took courses which concerned national security and he was called

He also told me that I would not be moved up to Director. The Board wanted an older individual but I would be given a deferment a raised and still be assistant director. Doris would be an advisor.

The latter didn't bother me but I was also to train the director who knew nothing about Boy's Club etc. He was a volunteer who helped a lot and was well known in the community.

I decided I would give my notice and take my chances. So I returned home.

I went looking for work and found a job at Manning, Maxwell, and Moore. I spent about 6 months there and then received my notice that it was delivered to an older man also with the name Todisco on our floor and he came to us crying wanting to know why the government wanted to induct him into the army. I looked over the notice and noted that it was for me and I told him not to worry. He was an old man and looked it.

So I went to Waltham as required and wen in for my preliminary and physical exam which I passed.

[ed: According to U. S. World War II Army enlistment records. Dad was enlisted into the army on 6. March 1942. His civil occupation was listed as Stock Clerk. This is the end of the second notebook.]

15 comments:

  1. What a handsome man! That must have been a scary time with war breaking out and not knowing how things would turn out. Thanks for sharing another episode of your Dad's life. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly was a handsome devil. And he knew it, too. <(-;{

      Delete
  2. I hope there are more notebooks! I'm hooked! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your Dad's life story and seeing what comes next. Like Robin, I'm hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Robin made him smile. He loved telling stories.

      Delete
  4. CJ...your dad is most handsome; I can see why the gals fell for him ;)

    scary times that had to have been; scary times we are in now, but in a different sort of way

    had family in every branch of the service in WW2; weezer told me that made for "interesting" conversation at the dinner table, as to which was "tougher" ! ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always told Dad with his wavy, dark hair and dark eyes, he reminded me of the movie star, Tyrone Power. He loved that!

      I think every generation lives through scary times. Hopefully, lessons are learned and not repeated.

      Dad was the only one in his family to serve during WWII. I think all his male cousins his age also went into the army. My Uncle Sam (yes, his real name. my mother's sister's husband) was the only one I know of that served in the Navy. He was a Gunner's Mate.

      Delete
  5. Your father is/was handsome. His story coincides with the ones I'm learning about who served in Vietnam. Seems things didn't change much until the LOTTERY, which people thought would be more fair, since there was so much corruption in the draft board. Thanks for sharing these stories with us. I suspect there are more notebooks. I hope so, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was a handsome guy, your dad. My dad was also in World War II. It must have been a scary time right before the war. And then when the war broke out, they must have been scary too. My dad was in army intelligence and served in the Pacific theatre. I miss my Dad telling me his war stories. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was in the Army Air Corps and served in the Pacific Theatre. He was a searchlight spotter. His job at night to pick out enemy aircraft so the artillary batteries could shoot the plane down. Dad was in New Guinea and then with his hero, MacArthur at the battle of Luzon in the Phillipines.

      Delete
  7. Your dad was an amazing man, and very handsome;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your father was very handsome! A very brilliant man! Can't wait to read more! It will be interesting to read what is in the last notebook!

    ReplyDelete