Tuesday, November 28, 2017

T Stands for Laying The Wreath

We had planned on going to the cemetery to bring the Christmas wreath in mid-December. Himself would have a day or two off between exams. With the thought of December fast approaching and unknown weather, we decided on a change of plan. We would travel the Friday after Thanksgiving. And then on Wednesday, the doctor's office called Himself. He had an appointment scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving, but someone called and cancelled their appointment on Friday so Himself thought he'd rather push up the appointment so the trip to the cemetery was moved to Saturday.


Lots of people were leaving Grandma's house after the Thanksgiving break at the same time we decided to leave for the cemetery (10:30 AM). We were barely to the next exit on the Pike (I-90 westbound) when traffic came to a grinding halt. The Pike would be backed up from Exit 9, the junction of I-90 and I-84, the major roadway to Hartford, Connecticut, and New York. The drive to the cemetery would normally take an hour and 10 or 15 minutes, but at this rate, we wouldn't get there until February.

The Pike is a toll road, and I thought most of the problems at this stretch were caused by all the cars trying to get through the tolls. The Commonwealth (Massachusetts is a Commonwealth, not a state) went to electronic tolling last year. That still hasn't helped the congestion at busy travel times of the year.


So, we got off the Pike at the next exit to take Route 20 West as an alternate route. Traffic was busy in places like Charlton and Sturbridge, but the traffic was moving. Once we got past the shopping areas, we pretty much had the road to ourselves.

We traveled to Palmer where we would pick up the Pike again. While we were waiting at a traffic light to make the turn to the Pike exit. We were across from a cemetery. There was a man at the corner holding a sign which read Open House. I found it amusing as I wondered if the cemetery was advertising.


We finally reached our destination. The Massachusetts Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Agawam. 


This last section is filling in fast. 😿 On the drive up, lots of families had already left wreaths for their loved ones.




As always, the first thing is flowers for Ma. Some beautiful red roses to look Christmasy and a sprig of baby's breath to let her know she'll be a great-grandmother in the Spring. Ma and Dad would be thrilled to be great-grandparents.


I was so glad we didn't have to go crazy looking for a wreath stand. Earlier in the morning, I found some sheer red and gold ribbon to make a pretty bow to replace the cheap flocked bow that came with the wreath. I wish I could decorate the wreath as I used to do for their front door at home, but the only decoration allowed at the cemetery is a single bow. Deep sigh. Forlorn look.

After our visit, we usually stop for lunch at Michael's Pasta in the Pan, a small nearby restaurant. To our surprise, the restaurant wasn't open for lunch. Note to self: On Saturday, the restaurant doesn't open until 4 PM. With the help of Siri, we found another restaurant close by


We had never been here. It was a small place, but lots of cars. We figured that was a good sign.



The restaurant consisted of a bar, tall pub tables, and we found the only empty regular size table at the back. Tall pub tables are a challenge for a Hobbit.


Our view at the back entrance. On the way to the restaurant, I had told Himself other T for Tuesday husbands were good sports and posed for the picture of the meal. He said that was nice.


"Don't eat, I need a picture."

And being a good sport, he posed for the picture with his lunch choice of steak tips, fries (chips), sauted vegetables, and a Coke.


I had beer battered fish and chips (I substituted sweet potato fries), Irish slaw, and a Coke.


Madge (short for Magellan), the GPS decided to send us home through the city of Springfield. We think Madge was upset with us on the trip down as we disregarded all her directions for the alternate route.

Springfield is the largest city in Western Massachusetts, the third largest city in Massachusetts, fourth largest city in New England, home of the Basketball Hall of Fame (the sport was invented here), and home of Dr. Seuss, famed children's' author.


For a big city, not much going on.


Stop and Go, an aptly name convenience store. Next door is the packie. A packie is what is known as a liquor store in other parts of the country.


Finally, back on the I-91 North which will take us to the Mass Pike. (I-90)


Traffic was backed up from Exit 9 (I-84 and I-90 interchange) on the Westbound side.


We weren't going anywhere fast on the Eastbound side.


Good thing I had some provisions with me.


And finally home, sweet home.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

30 comments:

  1. good morning-that was a long day in the car. good you knew some alternate routes to get out of the backed up traffic.
    Your flowers and wreath are very lovely
    The food looks delicious-hubs rolls his eyes when i take a photo of food lol Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the traffic was due to the Thanksgiving holiday. And now I can hear Himself, "See I'm not the only one." :-D

      Delete
  2. Driving in Massachusetts (or southern NH) is usually a test of wills for sure. When I go to my Mom's I take 495 and i290. So first there is the Lowell/Lawrence area and then there is that one car wide exit onto i290. And I won't even talk about riving into Boston. I didn't realize it was so bad heading out west to Springfield. I have only been to Springfield once in my life, and I really didn't realize it was such a good sized city until I saw your photos today. Why I am so surprised, I don't know. Sorry your trip was such a challenge. Glad you had a nice lunch to sustain you for the trip home. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know the size of Springfield because it's well past the Rte 495 Civilization Demarcation. :-D And I don't drive in Boston. If I'm going alone, I use the T or Commuter Rail. Too much hassle driving is parking is too expensive in Boston.

      Delete
  3. What a great post, so much to read and smile at. I didn't realise you had such traffic problems,it's pretty awful here, too - too many cars, not enough roads! Glad you managed to get to the cemetery in the end, the wreath and roses both look good. And the photos of your hubby and his meal are very flattering! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe traffic is the same world-wide. Roads built 50 years ago just can't handle the amount of traffic today

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a long car journey due to all that traffic and I'm so pleased you made it to the cemetery in the end ...lol 😉. The red roses and babies breath are so beautiful and your wreath looks wonderful with the pretty ribbon you added 😁. Sending you very Happy T Day wishes! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time we'll plan better and not go when everyone is returning from their holiday travel.

      Delete
  5. well that was some journey you had! Good thing you were at least able to reroute some parts of it-yikes! Interesting info about these parts. And I never heard of a liquor store being called a packie.Your fish and chips lunch looks so good-a fave of mine. And yes, one can always sigh a breath of reief when home again. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we knew our way around Springfield better. We could have navigated an alternate route instead of driving through the city. Packie is definitely Boston and used in Massachusetts. Will have to ask Erika if packie is used in northern New England

      Delete
  6. Whew i'm tired and i didn't even need to drive...lol We used to have a magellan.. and our truck has a nav system we have to subscribe too but mostly we just use the map function on our phone.. Glad you made it home safe and sound........ Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car, a Toyota Corolla, has a built in navigation system.

      Delete
  7. We don't have toll roads around here, and I've never seen traffic that bad on the interstate outside the city. Well, except for when Elvis died. What a trip you had! The fish looks yummy. I imagine that would've been my choice :)

    Your wreath and bow are lovely. My cemetery is in town, but I haven't taken Christmas flowers yet.

    Home Sweet Home :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Elivs passed away, that must have been some traffic.

      Delete
  8. Gosh that was some trip. Saturday would have been two days after Thanksgiving but still it was very busy. I'm sure your mum would appreciate the effort.
    I didn't know that massechusets is not a state. I learned something there.
    We have lots of toll roads here in Spain, and there are even more in France. But we tell our 'Madge' that we want to avoid tolls. So I couldn't tell you what they a<re like because we never use them. Even getting round Madrid (which is a nightmare), it is possible to avoid them if you have a good sat navigator (which we have).
    What a pretty home you have. A blue house, beautiful!
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have one toll road that connects Wichita to Kansas City going north and to Oklahoma City going south. There are lots of side road that we can take, and we never see that kind of traffic, not even when it's busy. Thankfully, we were headed in the other direction and it took us the normal time of about two hours to make the trip to Scott's mother's house (his father died this summer, and it was sad not to see him there this year). You had quite the trip.

    Nice to read you found a decent place to eat, but I would not have climbed on those bar stools. They would need to give me a step stool just to get to the first rung (grin). It looked like a nice place, though, and the food looked decent for a non-vegetarian.

    Thanks for sharing your trip to the cemetery, your food, your cokes, and your trip home with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first holidays without a loved one are the hardest.

      I was glad we found a normal table. I can't climb the tall bar stools. :-D

      Delete
  10. My goodness! What a trip! But you got it done now you can sit back, relax and enjoy the SNOW that is sure to come your way....sorry I couldn't resist....lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really tell a good story, CJ. I thoroughly enjoyed this, but especially the part about your discussion with Himself about posing for a photo. You may have my noticed the photos of my hubby are very similar ;-)

    I also giggled at the Hobbit remark, but I don't think those high tables are comfortable for anyone!

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything I plan for a T Day with Himself around usually gets an eye roll, head shake, or both.

      Delete
  12. That sounds a mammoth of a road journey, we often complain of traffic here, but when your traffic and road problems come in our news but is nothing like you have.
    It was good that you found a good restaurant, cars outside is always a good sign.
    Your home looked very welcoming, your photos today were super.
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traffic was only bad because of the Thanksgiving holiday. Everybody decided to head home at the same time we decided to head to the cemetery. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  13. You are going to be a grandparent???Woo Hoo! I'm so excited for you.
    Very nice remembrances for your parents, especially your mom's beautiful roses.
    Traffic was nasty Saturday wasn't it? Our eight hr trip home took us twelve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad for not recapping. The Nephew and his Wife had a gender reveal party a couple of weeks ago. They announced they are having a little girl in April. The Brother will be a grandfather, I will be a great-aunt and my parents, would be great-grandparents. The theory of relativity can be so difficult to understand. =^,.^=

      Delete
  14. So much driving!
    I try to avoid it at all costs!
    the wreath and roses looked gorgeous.
    you food made my mouth water..now I'm hungry:)
    Your house is so cute. love that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't really have much choice. Dad wanted to be buried at a Veteran's Cemetery. There are 3 in Massachusetts. The National Veterans Cemetery in Bourne (on Cape Cod), and two state cemeteries, one in Agawam and one in Winchendon. All the cemeteries are over an hour drive from us. Dad wanted a military funeral and that's what we gave him.

      Yup, my little blue dollhouse.

      Delete
  15. That was a lot of driving!! You and your hubby did well!
    The wreath and roses for your parents were beautiful!!
    The place your stopped to eat at, looked really good! Got me hungry! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murphy's Pub was a tiny place, but the food was really good.

      Delete