Thursday, January 18, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

In the interim of growing I caused problems. I was crawling on all fours on our piazza [ed: back porch of 3 decker] When I noticed that my left hand came up with a section of wood and a mail right through my hand. I showed it to my mother and she had a real some or other, as she shouted
Sant'Antonio. She pulled it out slowly and stopped the blood flow and used iodine. Another time on my birthday I was sitting on the window sill in the kitchen it was a warm day and one where Zio Francisco was baking. My mother kept telling me not to rock back and forth as I could fall. I kept it up and did fall and got a split head.

Another time I was playing with the boys on the first floor, Len and his brother, Joe.They would climb the stairs to the second floor, go over the railing and on the other side of the stairs hold on to the floor and drop to the 1 st floor. I tried it and on the second drop I sprained my ankle and it took a good while to heal. The family doctor, who was a relation to my father [ed: Geeze Louise, Dad this is the first time I've heard of this and a name would have been helpful!] came and dressed it and gave me exercises to do on a broom handle to push it back and forth (roll it) It [ed: the doctor's house call] cost 2 dollars. $1.00 at the office if you visited there.

In between these escapades there would be visits by the Uncles. Uncle Joe would give us boys a hair cut and $1.00. Uncle Fred did not as often. [ed: I think he means didn't visit as often] Then he had a family. And when his wife died it was once or twice a year. Aunt Clara [ed: Uncle Joe's wife] brought up Ellie [ed: Uncle Fred's daughter] and he [ed: Uncle Fred] took on the four boys.


  Uncle Joe even planned a Summer picnic to Revere [ed: Beach] one year [during 1920s]. It was fun. We had a nice spot on the beach. At that time, one went swimming practically fully dressed. Men had to wear two piece bathing suits. Women were fully covered including stockings. No showing of skin like today.


The photos are from yesteryear fashion websites I found on the Interwebs.

14 comments:

  1. Another very interesting report. Times and fashions have certainly changed a lot. Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since wool was the fabric of the day, those bathing suits looks so uncomfortable.

      Delete
  2. Are those actual family photos? Your dad was lucky he didn't get bad infections in those days before antibiotics. You have a lot of family stories. Your dad was thoughtful to leave these for you. Warming up a bit tomorrow. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the photos on a yesteryear fashion website. Dad certainly had a strong constitution.

      Delete
  3. I can't even imagine wearing a WOOL bathing suit on the beach much less going into the water! Yikes! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like having a wet dog wrapped around you. Ick!

      Delete
  4. dad was a bit "rough" on himself huh !!! I think of all the mishaps the nail in the hand is the one that gives you the heebee jeebees the worst ......!!!! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold onto your mittens, kittens. There's another stupid kid thing coming up :-D

      Delete
  5. I have trouble believing your father mode it to the age of 20, after reading about all those antics and mishaps. Yes, it's too bad your father didn't bother to leave more information, but at least you are lucky enough to have the information you DO have. I know nothing about my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. It's mostly aggravation at myself for not being interested in the genealogy sooner. There would have been lots of elders around to ask all the questions.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. My dad was a little bastard as they say in the vernacular. He would have agreed, too.
      :-D

      Delete
  7. Your dad sure had some mishaps! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And was the cause of his parents going prematurely grey. :-D

      Delete