Thursday, March 8, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

The Rockies - When Dad played here there were no
trees or grass.
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

In the interim, I played football and this was a tough way of playing. No uniform. [ed: No protective gear] Our ball was a bag in which paper was stuffed and we played. Every now and then we had to stop when a car came by or a horse and wagon. Most the playing was at night. Weather permitting [ed: Dad and his friends played in the middle of a cobblestone street]

At this time, I began to box. My first bout was down on my street called The Rockies. It was at the end of the street and not much good for playing. During the building of the houses on the street a lot of the steps were rock steps during the building process or had ordered more than needed. So they remained where they were delivered. There was a lot of rocks. Rough granite. [ed: As a kid visiting the aunties who still lived in the old neighborhood, I saw the Rockies. Rocks were piled behind an old G.E. factory building. Kids threw rocks and broke windows in the abandoned factory]

Bobby was the last child. Olga was to care for him. I would take the carriage downstairs and she would take him down the stairs. One day, she made him fall [ed: she dropped him] So I told our mother who made sure he was ok Just crying. That I would take Bobby for his daily outing with a milk bottle for him. The boys called me mama's boy, sissy, so I showed them I was not that. I beat them up if they called me by that name. It [ed: fighting] worsened by character.

These episodes brought more fight. I also had one of the older boys train me. I would practice with him.

We also played baseball at The Rockies.

In the winter when it snowed we would pile snow up against the fence pounded into a solid big block and then we would begin to clean the front out until we had an igloo, well something like one. At times some of the gang would jump up to the top and try to push the roof down on those inside.

We also used to have rallies with other streets across the [ed: railroad] tracks. We threw rocks at each other. Until we heard that the police was on the way. And we ran away.

School got a little interesting when I completed the Samuel Adams School to the Donald McKay in the 7th grade. Which was very close to home.

13 comments:

  1. Good to hear of children really playing, and not just playing around on phones or play-stations as so many do today. Your Dad could evidently take good care of himself. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. CJ; dad's stories reminisce with that of my grandfather and then again my baby brother; and some; myself. everyone played outside and in the street; we built snow forts; my grandfather and his brother were as bad with "throwing" and while it rather skipped his son; my brother and his friends used to throw dried dirt clods at one another when the fields behind us had been plowed....OW !!! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the 'good ole days' of playing outside and being physical! And we survived!!! LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to have met your father. He sounds like a multi-layered, fascinating individual.
    Now we know where you get it;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this week I couldn't stop looking at the photo. It looks familiar to me. What town/city is it in? Hope you didn't get too much snow and good to hear that you didn't have to go out. Tomorrow hopefully it will be sunny and we'll get a bit of melt. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the old GE factory at the corner go Grove and Frankfurt St. in East Boston.

      Delete
  6. Another interesting post. Back then, we all seemed to play outside in nice weather and no one had a cell phone or play station to keep us on the couch. I think those days your dad spoke of are long gone, but it was great to read about them, at least.

    Interesting fact: Wichita has had LESS THAN 1/2 inch of moisture since October 1, 2017 until March 8, 2018 (yesterday). Saw it on the news last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another storm is predicted for Monday. I'll happily wish it turns your way to help with your drought

      Delete
  7. To go outside and play!!! The way it should be!! I thought is was cute about throwing rocks at each other, untill they saw the cops! LOL!

    ReplyDelete