Thursday, April 26, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

I also at a younger age was given violin lessons. Which I didn't care for and later the trumpet or cornet. I gave that up.

I also refused to take up Uncle Vincent [ed: Uncle Vincent's offer of a scholarship to the Boston Conservatory of Music] who heard me sing vesti la giubba from the opera "Pagliacci"
He said before you answer. [ed: There will be] No smoking, no drinking, no women. The first two did not bother me. The third, I was beginning to notice that the scrawny looking girls in the neighborhood were suddenly showing the start of exotic French curves. That I hated to give up.

Primarily while my father was in favor and so was my mother. That was fine, but my mind began to say very fast that it was just for the lessons, the books, car fare, etc. must come from your parents. And I then would also feel that I would be owned. Papa had all he could do to keep abreast of payments. So I said no. 

12 comments:

  1. I like his reasons for not taking the scholarship! Have a wonderful day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 14, very conscious of the struggles his parents were having because of the Depression. And savvy, too, to understand the strings attached with the scholarship.

      Delete
  2. Too bad he had to turn down the scholarship, but I think he was wise for his age, knowing the cost and burden it would place on his parents. Getting to be around girls probably also played a part in his decision, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Played a big part. This was about the age that he met my mother. =^,.^=

      Delete
  3. You father was very smart to know he would have been 'beholdin' to his uncle if he had accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't learn the lesson though. When he graduated law school he went to work for Uncle Vincent.

      Delete
  4. CJ;

    your dad was very smart money wise for someone so young, and gracious as well. In today's society kid's would be holding out their hand, and whining it still wasn't enough ~~~♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it interesting what paths we follow? I wonder where he would have ended up if he'd chosen music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music came around again for him when he retired. He did some legal work for a friend who owned a music store. She gave him singing lessons with Rene Rancourt who sang the National Anthem for the Boston Bruins. Dad sang in his church choir, and with the Goldenaires, the Senior center glee club. He became director of the Goldenaires.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering the same thing Sandra asked you. Thanks for telling us what your father did do in his later years with music.

    ReplyDelete