Tuesday, May 1, 2018

T Stands for Cemetery Hop

My friend, Teague  and I took  another cemetery hop at Mt. Auburn Cemetery just outside of Boston. The cemetery was the first garden cemetery in the country. You can read about the first trip we took there and see some of the monuments of famous Bostonians: The Tower, Famous Bostonian Monuments, and Beautiful Scenery

This trip was to find the grave of my great-uncle Vincent, The Judge. During my genealogy research, I thought I found Uncle Vincent at St. Michael's Cemetery in Roslindale, a suburb of Boston. The cemetery office had records for a double burial plot for him and his first wife, but there was no headstone at the site. 

This turned out to be a mystery that was solved several weeks ago. I  was contacted by a women through Ancestry with information about Uncle Vincent and where he was buried. Seems Uncle Vincent had fathered a child out of wedlock. The woman who contacted me was the grand-daughter of Uncle Vincent's son.From my father, I knew about his 3 cousins, Uncle Vincent's children, but not about this child. Sadly, he was a very, big family secret. I don't think my father even knew. 

C sent me a photograph of the grave and said Uncle Vincent was buried in "Catholic" Mt. Auburn Cemetery, and the mother of his son was buried in "Protestant" Mt. Auburn Cemetery.


Our first stop was the administration building. To get a map and directions to Uncle Vincent's grave. The cemetery had no record of the mother of Uncle Vincent's son.


Walking to where Teague parked the car, some of the graves were covered with small, blue flowers. The first signs of Spring I had seen after the Winter that wouldn't end. Oh, and if you visit, don't park on the edge of the grass. Teague had parked close to the edge of the road so other cars could get by. The cemetery police left a rules and regulations flyer on her windshield.



After wandering around the path, Teague spotted Uncle Vincent's grave. He's buried with his daughter, Gloria, who clerked for him, and Gloria's husband. I was so excited about the trip to the cemetery, I forgot to stop and get some flowers. I left a stone on the headstone to mark I was there. 

After the visit, it was close to lunch so Teague used her phone to find restaurants close by. We decided to try the Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown. The restaurant is in a classic train car. There was only street parking and Teague found a metered spot a little ways up the street. Fortunately, she had quarters to feed the meter.



Classic decor


Menu filled with all-day breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even Blue Plate specials.


Teague ordered a chocolate soda, and I had an Arnold Palmer, which is half iced tea and half lemonade.


Teague ordered a Reuben on rye, and I had a Monte Cristo, and I asked for a bit of strawberry jam as the restaurant didn't have any raspberry jam. Sandwiches came with seasoned french fries (chips), coleslaw, and a pickle.

After lunch, Teague wanted to find the grave of her great-aunt Gertrude. She was buried in Mount Feake Cemetery in Waltham.


There was no one in the cemetery office even though we were there during the posted office hours. Teague had a general idea of where the grave was located.


Across the Charles River from the cemetery is the old Waltham Watch Factory now apartments, offices, and a restaurant.


While driving through the cemetery, I spotted Aunt Gertrude's grave. 


While Teague visited with her relatives, I wandered around. I love visiting cemeteries and photographing the old monuments. Yeah, a weird, but cheap hobby. I was charmed by the lamb on this headstone for a boy named Warren.



We weren't the only visitors in the cemetery. 


After our trip, it was back to Teague's house where she brought her laptop out to the sun room so we could dig a little deeper into Uncle Vincent's secret. I had been told that the mother of Uncle Vincent's son was rumored to have a gypsy connection. Teague found references to this woman, Sophie, in census records. But names changed or were changed, her mother's name became her name. Very confusing. Her marital status was listed in the census records as widow. Most likely a convention for an unwed mother to avoid the stigma associated with having a child born on the wrong side of the blanket. 

And some things that Dad mentioned in his notebooks made sense. He said Uncle Vincent's wife, Amelia had become ill and the two, younger children were sent to live with his family for a time. Later records listed Amelia as divorced. Maybe her "illness" was another way to avoid a scandal of a child born out of wedlock, and a divorce.

We still don't know how Uncle Vincent and Sophie met though Teague found directory listings that put them living within the same neighborhood. Perhaps, Auntie Amelia did become ill and Sophie was hired to take care of her. Or she was a maid in their home or at Uncle Vincent's law office. This mystery might never be solved.

While searching Uncle Vincent's records, she found a hand-written record of Uncle Vincent staying with his Uncle Francesco. The uncle my dad claimed was a blind baker. Turns out, I had only a printed version that listed the man's last name as Glase, but in looking at the hand-written record, Teague noticed the letter was actually the letter B and the last name for Uncle Francesco is Blasi.

That's the fun thing about genealogy research. You begin looking for one thing and then fall down a rabbit hole chasing an entirely different thing and another mystery.

When I got home, I called Mount Auburn Cemetery to ask about the "Catholic" and "Protestant" sides. I was told Mount Auburn is a non-denominational cemetery. All faiths may be buried there. I was told that some people call the Sand Banks Cemetery, "Catholic Mount Auburn" as it is located across the street and maintained by the Archdiocese of Boston.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page. 

30 comments:

  1. You visited some fascinating cemeteries - something I like to do, too. Glad you found the graves you were looking for, but there were a lot of mysteries to add to the story. I suppose an illegitimate child was a scandal back then. I like the idea of lunching in a railway carriage. What are blue-plate specials? Glad you enjoyed your da out. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term come from The Depression Era. A blue plate special is a featured, inexpensive meal served in diners like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas, and would be served on a blue plate.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of Mt Auburn cemetery but have never been there. I think it was a good spring day activity, and your lunch looks yummy. I love diners. They are not only good food but a cool piece of history too. :) Hope you are greening up also. Hurrah-I think spring has arrived. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mt. Auburn is a beautiful place to walk around. Some of the monuments are spectacular.Spring today and Summer weather to end the week. Finally!

      Delete
  3. What a facinating mystery and how lovely that you visited the cemetery and found your great-uncle's headstone! It was interesting to see how the story untravelled 😀. You meals looks so delicious too, it looks like a great place to eat! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊
    p.s. I chatted with my friend yesterday who lives in Maine and it seems the weather is finally on the change, Happy Spring! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still more to the mystery as I'd like to find out about Sophie and the gypsy connection. Yes, Spring like temps today after cold rains over the weekend and yesterday. Summer arrives on Wednesday for the rest of the week. At least here. Happy Dancing!

      Delete
  4. Good morning, I found your post very interesting. My brother has done allot of geneology research over the years on both sides. when My Mom was alive she did her side of the family and we are traced back to Germany-my brother has gotten stopped at 1812 on our fathers side. I went ahead and did the dna test in hopes he could go back further. My brother and my Mom had visited cemetarys too. the diner in the train would have been very fun-with history as well. thanks for sharing with us Happy T Day hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had help from a distant cousin with my father's side and was brought back to the early 1800s in Italy. I'm stuck on my mother's side and can't get much past my grandparents. It will just take some more hunting through the records.

      Delete
  5. I think it is so fascinating to learn more about who we are related to and where we actually came from. I just joined a site called Family Search.

    I LOVE those old restaurants and the chocolate soda sounded DELICIOUS! We have a few in my area. Johnny Rockets in Philly is a great place to go! The servers dance every 30 minutes or so and I just love it there!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Family Search for their records as their records are sorted better than over at Ancestry.

      I think we had a Johnny Rockets at the mall in the town where I grew up. It was a recreated 1950s style diner. I don't remember the servers dancing. The hamburgers were really good.

      Delete
    2. Yup, not sure if ALL of the Johnny Rockets do this, but I know for sure Philly and New York do! It is so much fun to watch and really cool actually! ;)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for posting that, my Lady. That was fun.

      Delete
  6. I must confess CJ when i saw this was a cemetery post i might have squealed with delight.. Yes.. it may seem a little morbid but i love to walk around cemeteries.. especially ones with beautiful headstones and monuments.. such peaceful places.. My hubby just rolls his eyes.. how fantastic that you have someone to roam with. I have dabbled a little in genealogy but have become frustrate in my search.. My father's side of the family was very secretive. I'm sure it had to do with my grandmother having my father out of wedlock.. I find my grandmothers father Elba Tigar (Tiger) in the 1910 and 1920 census but cannot find him any further back...grrrr... Oh well i keep dabbling... Its fun.. Happy happy T day and thank you for sharing! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, secrets. Go back to the 1910 and 1920 census. Check to see if other relatives lived a few doors down. Lots of families tended to congregate in the same neighborhoods. Then go back earlier to see if you can find the relatives. Perhaps your family is there but with a different spelling. Census takers weren't always the best at spelling.

      Delete
  7. When I was an undergrad, I needed one independent study. Since I've always had a love of cemeteries, I chose those to be my independent study. 3 credit hours, lots of photos, oodles of research, gobs of words, and a rubbing got me the A I deserved.

    The thing I found most fascinating was cemeteries seem to be laid out much like cities, where the oldest headstones are often in the center and the newer ones branch out much like a city.

    Some of the older cemetery plots don't strictly line up, like newer ones do. And since we have become obsessed with youth, we no longer take picnic baskets to the cemetery to join our dear dead loved ones on Sunday, but instead, try to keep the headstones as low to the ground as possible. Some research suggests it's because of ease of mowing, while others believe it is the "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome.

    I like the train car and the real dining car experience. To be honest, I had never heard of a Monte Cristo, but did an internet search and saw how it is sometimes served with jam.

    Thanks for sharing your genealogy experience (and expertise), your trip to the various cemeteries, your Monte Cristo, and your Arnold Palmer with us for T this Tuesday. This was a fun read, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself remembers going picnicking with the dearly departed, but my family never did that. It's sad that many cemeteries no long permit plantings. Yes, everything has to be for ease of mowing. Many cemeteries also don't allow the elaborate monuments. Where Himself's parents are buried, all the headstones have to be the same width and height. Looks like tract housing.

      Delete
  8. This is a really interesting post, you must be so pleased to find out more about your relatives and where they rest. I think many families have secrets that are not spoken about. All the more interesting to research and find answers.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Researching family history can lead to so many blind alleys - and distractions! It looks as though you enjoyed your day out though! My son likes Reuben sandwiches! Happy T day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the blind alleys and distractions is the fun of trying to fit the puzzle pieces together.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed your post today. I love cemeteries. In Italy they even have photos on the head stone. I also love to read what is written on the old stones.
    Your genealogy adventures are fascinating. Please keep us updated. I am really intrigued by uncle Vincent's Sophie. I hope you find out more.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos on headstones here, too. I'm hoping to find out more about Uncle Vincent's Sophie, too.

      Delete
  11. I agree with all of the above, a very interesting post! Thanks for sharing. I too wait with bated breath to hear the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends how quickly I can find records to back up facts and connect the dots.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you and Teague had a fascinating day. There's amazing stories to be discovered from, and about, our ancestors isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We remember our Elders when they were old. Never knew them when they were young and led exciting and interesting lives.

      Delete
  13. I find this all so interesting! You had a fascinating day! I love the restaurant you went to! So cute! The food looked great too!

    ReplyDelete