Tuesday, May 8, 2018

T Stands For Treated Like A Little Princess

After I posted T Stands for Blooming Tea, my friend, Tiggy, from Scotland commented on how I didn't have a sandwich plate with the tea service. I told Tiggy since my friend, Red, has dietary issues, I don't usually put out goodies when we get together for tea. Tiggy just said, "too late."

After 3 or almost 4 weeks went by, Tiggy asked if I had received a package. Nothing had showed up, and I told her not to worry. I had ordered a custom made bracelet from England for the Young One's college graduation back in 2014. Over a month had gone by, no bracelet. I contacted the jeweler and he sent another. The day after the 2nd bracelet arrived, the 1st bracelet arrived. And so after a long wait,


Tiggys package arrived tightly wrapped as if the Crown jewels were inside.


Pretty stickers hold wrapping tissue in place. 


Inside, a lovely sandwich plate depicting a scene with "heeland coo design" (Highland cows). I didn't know these oblong plates were called sandwich plates. I thought they were used to serve crackers and cheese or cookies. In her note, Tiggy said, "Nowadays, some people use these as dressing table tidies."


The markings on the back of the plate.


Tiggy's lovely postcard with a notation that that date of the plate is from the 1920s or 1930s. I did a little research on the Empire Porcelain Company. To find the stamp: England 6-58 means the piece was made in June of 1958. Still vintage, but not as old as Tiggy may have been told when she picked it up. Old or new, it's a lovely,charming piece. 


And fit for the table setting for a Little Princess's lunch. The postcard also included instructions on how to serve. "Sandwiches cut into triangles and placed like a mountain peak on the plate." There was even a fun drawing showing how the sandwiches were to be arranged.

When I'm home alone, I usually eat lunch on a paper plate or over the sink, but Saturday was such a beautiful day, I decided to treat myself like royalty. set a proper table, and enjoy lunch in the sun room. 

I made some egg salad, cut the crust off the bread, and arranged the sandwiches on the plate as directed. I didn't have white sandwich bread so my triangles aren't evenly sized. I thought the sandwich plate would look nice with my Willow Ware plates, and the blueberry teapot a remembrance of my Godmother. She would have approved of the sandwich plate.

Thank you so much for thinking of me, my dear friend. Oh, and Tiggy, for future reference. I take my tea white with one sugar. One day, I plan to visit and have tea in your wee hoosie.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

30 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fabulou gift. Perfect for T-definitely! You have a very good friend for sure. Hope it's a wonderful T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Wonderful gift you got, the plate is gorgeous. Glad you treated yourself to a stylish meal at home. I remember my aunts serving triangular sandwiches for tea. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to use the pretties more often whether company comes or not

      Delete
  3. Good morning, this was a lovely post and made me smile-with all the memories from your tea set. a beautiful gift from your friend and a lovely lunch you made for yourself-Hoping one day you and your friend can meet up in her home.
    Happy T day hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful plate! The colours and Highland Cow design are so pretty and extra special with Tiggy living in Scotland 😁. It looks like you had a perfectly British afternoon tea treat with the egg sandwiches cut into triangles and the crusts removed, so yummy! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had had time to make a cream tea, too.

      Delete
  5. You said it: Tiggy is a treasure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new tea plate is fabulous. I was impressed with the cows on the plate, and your beautiful Willow ware and tea set made this even more special. I adore that blue pattern, too. A perfect setting for afternoon tea, but I'm confused. I enlarged the photo and it appears to be rectangles. I don't see triangles, but perhaps my monitor is skewed!

    Thanks for sharing your new and adorable plate from Tiggy, as well as your afternoon tea and sandwiches with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any white sandwich bread. I only had farm style bread which isn't square when the crusts are cut off. So instead of nice, neat right angle triangles, I got wonky isosceles triangles. They ate good. =^,.^=

      Delete
  7. what a beautiful sandwich tray!! Glad you took the time to treat yourself to a royally lovely lunch. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should treat themselves like royalty from time to time.

      Delete
  8. What a delightful plate, such a pretty design. I've never had a serving dish like that, and I imagine it'll add even more to your teas. The blueberry pot is lovely! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teapot was a gift from my Godmother's daughter as a remembrance of my Godmother. She gave it to me because blue is my color.

      Delete
  9. It is a lovely sandwich plate you were gifted and a great design. Enjoy using it .
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wondrous gift!
    You deserve Princess Treatment:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. Your table is fit for a princess. Everything looks perfectly inviting. What a wonderful friend to share such a beautiful piece of art with you.
    Happy tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope some day to be able to share tea with Tiggy.

      Delete
  12. This is such a beautiful and thoughtful gift! How wonderful!! I love the way your table looks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked a lot nicer than the usual paper plates :-D

      Delete
  13. CJ i thoroughly enjoyed this post! I'am so sorry to be late for tea.. Lets call it fashionably late... Such a nice present from your friend Tiggy..Happy happy Belated T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never apologize for stopping in to visit. I'm always happy to see you

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful gift from your friend Tiggy. I'm sure the sandwiches tasted so much nicer than from a paper plate!
    Wishing you a good week,
    A belated happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful thoughtful gift, CJ! I'm glad you explained, because I was about to Google "heeland coo design." You really shoud write a book. I love your stories.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Tiggy wrote that in her note so I included it.

      Delete