Thursday, May 24, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks


To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

The first two weeks that I was working at the house [ed: Charlie/Skip's house] I was assigned the task to paint all of the windows on the outside [ed: trim] with black paint. While he and Doris would be at the farm with the kids Everett and Bob.

He also instructed me that if I needed more paint to go to the hardware store as he had made arrangements with the owner to give me what I needed and he would settle when he returned.

I started the job. Skip was away then and I opened a gallon and started. The paint was so thick that I had a hard time spreading it. So I used some turpentine to make it liquid. When Skip came back he asked me how much paint I ordered. I said none. He got upset. Doris asked him what's wrong? He said he painted the sills with turpentine. He looked at the job and said Well let's see what happens.

While he had to give up the house. Because he also landed a job in Waltham to establish the Boy's Club. He kept in touch with me. And after his first year he said when I graduated he would give me a job.

He had also told the Director [ed: of the Center] that he should consider giving me some leadership job and the Director did.

I was assigned to run the Saturday night dance.There was a number of young people my age that came. The charge was five cents for coffee and doughnuts.I got $11.00 a month and had a good time as well. We also had an orchestra.

It was at the Center that the girl who would grow to adulthood became a regular. and I would walk her home. Once in a while I would get her an ice cream and we'd walk home together.

She was a small little girl, cute, and very naive. Her name was Mary Riccio and would in the future become your mother.

June of 1938 came around and it was graduation time. My mother walked to Chelsea to get a job to buy my white flannels and everything else I borrowed. [ed: some facts that Dad omitted. His mother walked to work about 2 miles so she could save the money from taking the subway and/or ferry. She used the money she saved to buy the flannel material needed to make the trousers Dad had to have for graduation. She begged her husband, since he was a tailor, to make the trousers for his son.]

Photo: My parents before they were Ma and Dad. He's wearing the white flannel trousers his father made him for gradation. The photo was taken from the roof of one one of their homes. Not sure who's house. Logan Airport is in the background. Circa 1938 - 1941

15 comments:

  1. What a great photo of your parents, those white flannel trousers are very smart. Another lovely story, thanks for sharing. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photo! (actually, I think your dad is wearing Spectators. Saddle shoes have the darker part further up the shoe...Spectators have two dark parts one of which is at the toe....not trying to be a smartie pants but I did research on this very subject in school....just sayin'...lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the vamp is also a darker color from the rest of the shoe. so that's why I thought saddle shoe. I had a pair of navy white spectators. I thought spectators were woman's shoes. Either way, I love his shoes. (-:

      Delete
    2. Ah, I just looked up spectator shoes. You are correct. He is wearing spectators. Saddle shoes just have the tie area in a darker color and a bit on the seam of the heel. As I said, either, way, I love his shoes

      Delete
    3. I love them too! He looks so dapper! :D

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful love story. It warms my heart. And what a wonderful mother. She loved her boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CJ....wondered when we were going to get to meet mom !!! your parents are a very nice couple; dad; handsome and mom very pretty

    I had to laugh at the turpentine; but hey, dad tried and if one doesn't know ..then ~~~~~~~~~

    nice job on the trousers; I'll wager they lasted dad a good long time too; good workmanship like back then, is a lost art now ~~~~~

    ☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was there all along. They lived in the same neighborhood went to the same elementary and jr. high school. It just took a bit for him to notice her.

      Delete
  5. They are sucha stylish dapper couple. And they look like they belong together. I am quite taken by the clothing styles- more so your Dad's-but both of your parents. Old photos are really cool aren't they? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again I am late visiting. You are going to get tired of reading how far behind I am very soon. I got so far behind on Wed., I need a day to play catch-up without interruptions.

    Your mother and father are perfect for each other. She is a genuine beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the holiday weekend will give you a chance to catch up

      Delete
  7. This is so special CJ!!! I love the photo of your parents! I love the story! Your mother is beautiful and your dad is so handsome!!

    ReplyDelete