Monday, June 18, 2018

The Little Princess and the Pea-low

Once upon a time there was a Little Princess, and she had a terrible time falling asleep. She didn't have a problem with the mattress.

 For a long time she slept on two Eider down pillows, but they became flat and couldn't be laundered. She tried all sorts of pillows expensive, cheap, foam, never latex as she has a severe allergy. They all aggravated her Achilles Pea. They were too hot. Some became so hot the Little Princess was surprised she wasn't immolated in her sleep. And the pillow companies that boasted their pillows were cool and would dissipate the heat, LIED! So the Little Princess would wake up hot and cranky with migraine headaches.

She tried the Possessive Pronoun Pillow, but it was so lumpy, it felt like it was filled with little, brick peas. And it was hot. On the plus side, it could be laundered. But running the pillow through the washer/dryer did nothing to make it more comfortable.

Since she got the Number mattress, she also tried the Number Cooling Pillow. While she grudgingly admited to being able to sleep on it, the pillow retains heat. And can't be laundered. After 5 years, it was recommended to get a new pillow.

The Little Princess saw an ad for a Sleepgram pillow. It boasted comfort, washable, cool, and customizable, and was not very expensive. It sounded perfect. So, she ordered it. The pillow comes in three parts. A soft outer shell which unzips. And two inserts, one soft and one medium. You can use one or both inserts to customize the pillow.

The Little Princess tried all three pillows together. The pillow was so high and so hard that it felt like a very, large bag of frozen peas. The Little Princess could feel a headache coming on. That was NFG. Not good at all.

Then the Little Princess just used the soft insert. The pillow was soft, but the Little Princess still couldn't get comfy.

Then the Little Princess removed the soft insert and used the medium insert.  The Little Princess slept. She didn't spend the entire night tossing and turning the pillow over to find a cool side. She woke up and didn't have a headache. She woke up rested, but felt sleeping on the pillow was just...okay.

Maybe it will take the 100 day trial period for the Little Princess to fall in love with her pillow. Maybe the Little Princess is just too fussy. She has been accused of this before, but she doesn't really give a...bag of peas.

15 comments:

  1. Oh goodness CJ i can commiserate with this... I've had the same two pillows for YEARS... years i tell you simply because i cannot find the right pillow to replace it.. They are all too soft...even when they say firm...I don't like to sink down in my pillow.. if that makes any sense.. But neither am i looking for a brick pea.. lo Fingers crossed you found the right one... lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes finding the right pillow for a little princess is not easy! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Migraines suck! And lack of sleep because you cannot get a comfortable pillow does not help either. I used to get 3 day migraines once in a while, but most of the time they would cause spots in my eyes, a numbing feeling in each finger and felt more like a hangover headache even though I didn't drink!

    I hope you find the right pillow fit soon, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted that feeling when you see something you know it's meant for you. Like when I found my wedding dress.

      Delete
  4. The struggle is real! It took me years to find the right pillow and I LOVE it! And I sleep sooo much better on it. I hope it will be the same with your new pillow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a buckwheat pillow which was supposed to be good for its cooling properties. Unfortunately, you can't wash buckwheat, only the outer cover which unzips and can be washed. The inner, sewn cover cannot. And no matter what the claim, the pillow is still super hot, even in the dead of winter. Even though I use a pillowcase, the zipper part sometimes gets in the way and I AM a princess when it comes to any pea. I have a problem with anything that doesn't feel right, like the tag that is on my bra right now. So I can empathize and hope the little princess finds or has found the right pillow this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clothing tags are so annoying. Don't know why clothing mfgs. can just stamp the info on the item.

      Delete
  6. Hope you find your perfect pillow, where it's just right.
    one of my pillows is squishy and practically flat
    the other is too firm and very high.. it's pretty annoying and yet, I don't fix it
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how pillows can be such stubborn things. Who would think something that is really a bag of foam or feathers or fluff could not be comfy. But it is true. I hope the princess gets her pillow situation under control soon. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me laugh CJ! LOL!
    But, migraines are no fun! I truly hope you find a good pillow that works and please let us know! I'm always flipping my pillows around.

    ReplyDelete