Tuesday, July 3, 2018

T Stands for Another Cemetery Hop - Part 3


The third and final installment at the Highland Street Cemetery in Dover.


At the stone border of the cemetery a very weathered stone.


Hard to make out what kind of flowers were carved.  

The headstones in the "newer" section of the cemetery were some of the most unusual stones I have come across.


This stone had a very unusual shape with a highly polished surface. A puppy and a cherub stand watch. Another surprise about this cemetery is planting of flowers and shrubs is allowed. Many cemeteries now don't allow planting of any kind so mowing of the grass can go faster. Two visitors left a calling card (stones on top of the headstone) to let the deceased know they had stopped for a visit.


There were several highly polished stones with beautiful etchings like this simple spray of tulips.


Several graves had benches instead of a traditional headstone. Someone was a hockey fan.


I wonder what the story is behind the bird. Mumford also had lots of visitor.


A Scottie dog, like Greyfriars Bobby, stands guard among Impatiens. Another hocky fan.


Behind the stone, my favorite find of the day a tiny, sleeping kitty statue like my Ink.


We should all be so lucky.


I love how the family noted this gentleman's hobbies and a lovely sentiment to sum up his life. There he is in his boat next to


the love of his life. His wife was not only an artist with a camera, but an Oma (German for Grandma) Extraordinaire.


Stone flowers mirror the pretty geraniums planted at the grave.


with a photograph medallion of beloved puppy dogs.


This stone was breath-taking but so hard to photograph without my reflection in the highly polished stone.  The scene is an etched lighthouse with either a rising or setting sun in color. Visitors also left their markers.


This was probably the most beautiful stone of the day. A charming woodland scene of a pond or brook colorfully etched in the stone. I loved the male and female cardinals resting under dogwood blossoms.


A simple and beautiful spray of Lily of the Valley.


An unusual shaped rose quartz stone.


Usually when I photograph headstones, I focus on carvings of angels. This was about the only angel statue I came across in this cemetery. A guardian angel marks the grave of a young man taken too early from his family In the upper right corner is a photograph medallion of himself as a young boy and as the young man frozen in time.

Teague said one of the residents of the cemetery was a former governor of Massachusetts, Francis Sargent. We were almost ready to leave when Teague spotted his grave. He served as the 64th governor of Massachusetts from 1969 - 1975. I was a little surprised to see such a humble stone marker. 


Buried in front of Governor Sargent's grave was this unusually shaped stone



 rough hewn and carved in the shape of a harp. I believe the resident was a musician. There was a foot marker with something about a donation made to Salisbury Cathedral in England, but I didn't write down what was on the stone. I know. Shame on me.


And my beverage is my trusty mug of tea as I edit photographs for the post.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

28 comments:

  1. Lots of beautiful headstones again. Loved the "pets" . Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet to see how the fur babies are remembered.

      Delete
  2. They are so unique and I love the lovely epigraphs!
    I would say those are roses in the first one, at least for me this are roses.
    Thank you for sharing this for me really interesting gravestones! Love this rose quartz stone for Rose! Wonderful!
    Happy T-Day !
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink is not my color, but the rose quartz stone for the Rose family was very beautiful. The color is striking and so is the shape.

      Delete
  3. Cemetary stones that are so personalized are the best. Not only to look at but you feel you know the person a little bit too. Doesn't turn you into just a name. Glad you had a good trip that day. And happy T day. Are you enjoying this heat? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I am loving the heat. It doesn't need to be shoveled and won't last long. Snow lasts longer.
      =^,.^=

      Delete
  4. what a great cemetery to walk about in-so many unusual and wonderful looking headstones. Love the benches too! You're right- i really don't know of a cemetery in my parts that allows planting. Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, without plantings the cemeteries are so sterile and not a place one would want to visit and remember a loved on.

      Delete
  5. CJ i was almost giddy when i saw we were having another cemetery post..lol What extraordinary headstones. Love the rose quartz one and the ones that told a little bit about their lives and hobbies .. great idea.. Thank so much for sharing this CJ .. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to enjoy at your leisure today. =^,.^=

      Delete
  7. Wow, you captured some beautiful carvings on the headstones! I love the male and female cardinals sitting amongst the blossoms 😁. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cardinals were the most beautiful motif I have ever seen on a headstone.

      Delete
  8. This was a much easier post for me to read this week. You found some beautiful head stones, some old, but mostly the new ones. They were amazing, including the rose and the dogs.

    I just saw a new ordinance has gone into effect in Wichita, where you are no longer allowed to leave items at the gravesites. No flowers, no balloons, and flags must be up against headstones. It seems the caretakers of the cemeteries don't want to pick them up. How sad that even this last bastion of beauty in our lives has now reduced death to dullness. And to think, Victorians used to picnic in cemeteries on Sunday near their deceased relatives.

    Several of those stones with birds are popular here, too. Even the stone design (a seat) is similar. I wonder if it was made popular in a given era/decade because I'd never seen any others until I saw the one you found.

    Thanks for taking us on this trip to the cemetery and for sharing your tea with us for T this Tuesday, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the ground crew want to do the mowing quickly and sometimes the gewgaws can look a bit gaudy and unsightly, but they also celebrate the loved one. Himself remembers going to the cemetery for a picnic. Well, the kids sat in the car and I think his mom gave them snacks to keep the 5 of them quiet while the grownups visited the graves and planted flowers.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed seeing the variety of memorials there, especially the benches. People aren't supposed to leave things and certainly not plant things at the cemetery where my family is buried, but the management has quit trying to enforce that rule lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most cemeteries around here are strict and will remove the items. Sad.

      Delete
  10. what an awesome cemetery this is, very unique and I love that they allow flowers and little statues etc. I really love the bench instead of the normal tombstone
    thanks for all of the photos-I enjoyed visiting with you Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was the most unusual cemetery I've visited.

      Delete
  11. CJ; these are some very unusual stones. I wonder if the deceased picked them out ahead of time, or if family chose them....either way they are very nice ~~~~~~ ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them I think were chosen by the family.But it's so nice to see how they honor the things their loved ones loved.

      Delete
  12. THese have all been interesting photos, all the grave stones seem so well looked after and so personal. Good to know that people care.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty, the supervisor of the cemetery, really takes good care of this cemetery. It's clean, neat, he has planted geraniums on the graves of veterans. It's a lovely place.

      Delete
  13. I'm very surprised and impressed by the modern head stones, C.J. Who does that anymore? The sleeping kitty is adorable. The two colorfully etched stones caught me by surprise. I did't know you could ink color into polished granite.

    Lovely post.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be something new that is now being offered. I've seen more and more of the colored etched stones but the ones in this cemetery were the most beautiful

      Delete
  14. A very interesting visit (that sounds weird now - given where this is!!!) Love the sleeping kitten! Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly fascinating post CJ! I really loved it! It amazes me how many don't have dates on them? I really love the benches and that rose quartz! Wow! The little kitty statue, so precious! Really loved everything! Thanks CJ!

    ReplyDelete