Sunday, August 12, 2018

How Does Moopa and Mooma's Garden Grow?

After leaving Ohio, we traveled to South Carolina to visit Himself's college roommate and family. Twenty years ago we made the trip when the girlies were little. Since then, Moopa and Mooma built a beautiful log house on 10 acres where they have a small farm.


We know we are close when we see the water tower that looks like a peach though up close it looks more like a butt.


Everywhere we traveled in South Carolina we could see these trees with pretty pink flowers. Mooma and Moopa had one. Tree is a Pink Myrtle


Some Brown-Eyed Susans and Zinnia (I think)


The porch swing


The Cement Pond


More flowers


Rose of Sharon (I think)


Mooma's chickens. The two in the foreground lay colored eggs and the stripey chickens lay regular eggs.  The hens weren't mature enough to begin laying eggs. To help them learn sitting technique, golf balls are in their nesting area.

Mooma let me feed the chickens sunflower seeds from my hand. The brown and white hen was very gentle with her pecking. The stripey ones, not so much. The chickens have names. One was Hei Hei from the Disney movie, Moana. I don't remember the names of the others.

Sadly, a week or so after we left, Moopa told us two of the chickens were lost to a ground predator. (fox or coyote)

Moopa had grabbed a bucket of cow chow and a broom handle to bang on the bucket. He banged the bucket and called, "Shook, Shook, Shook" and the cows came running.

The cows are how Mooma got her nickname. Mooma and Moopa's daughter had her own daughter. Moopa thought Mooma needed a hipper name then Grandma or Nana. A friend of Mooma's started calling her Mooma around the baby. When the baby began to talk, she called her grandma Mooma. 

Now, I don't think Moopa is too thrilled when I call him Moopa. I just think they should be a matched set. The granddaughter calls him Papa. She's 3 years old now so the entire time I was with her, I got her to call him Moopa. The nickname didn't stick, but I still call him Moopa.


The Black Angus cows have names, too. I think this is Thelma with her daughter Louise. Named because they manage to run away on adventures.


Are you looking at me?


Yum


Running for treats.


This is Moose. He's Daisy's seeing eye dog.


View of the Blue Mountains. I think there are some wild turkeys running through the field.


Some of the bounty from the garden.


Guinea hens


This old gal is Daisy. She's deaf and blind, but Moose helps her get into trouble and get where she needs to go.

How does your garden grow?

16 comments:

  1. I love that Mooma and Moopa names, and they live in a lovely spot with their livestock. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time. Fun with friends, beautiful scenery.

      Delete
  2. I'm still laughing. What an enjoyable post. I loved the nicknames and the fun way people name their animals. BTW, my Rose of Sharon doesn't look anything like theirs.

    I also liked the cement pond and peachy butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rose of Sharon could actually be something else. i know what a rose looks like. Other flowers are roses with different names =^,.^=

      Delete
  3. Such a fun post! I love reading about your visit and seeing all the animals on Mooma and Moopa's farm, such great names too ...lol 😉. So nice for old Daisy to have Moose around too! It looks like you had a wonderful time! Happy Sunday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time. Moose was amazing how he guided Daisy around inside and out.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous place to live. I always thought having a farm would be fun. I am sure having animals does tie you down, but having a pool to go for a dip in...hmm. I think stopping there was a 5 star vacation. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place! And lucky you to have a vacation there! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so peaceful. I told Mooma they should offer retreats

      Delete
  6. I sometimes wonder what I'll want grandkids to call me should I have them. I like Mooma :) I enjoyed this virtual visit. What a delightful place they've created! What a view! I mourn with them over their lost chickens :( I love the colorful flowers. Is that pink myrtle the same thing we know here as a crape myrtle? There are a lot of them here, and they are such pretty trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees all around the area had really pretty pink flowers. Maybe they are crape myrtle and I just called them pink myrtle. All I could remember was the myrtle.

      Delete
  7. Wondrous. Yup looks like the Carolinas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful spread, CJ. (I mean the farm - not a journaling spread.) I wouldn't have noticed the peach butt if you hadn't mentioned it - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a special post CJ! I love the area! Gorgeous! I love all the animals and their names! Sorry about the chickens being lost! Moopa and Mooma! LOL! Very cute names! You got me laughing about the "butt" and "cement pond"! LOL!

    ReplyDelete