Monday, September 17, 2018

A is for Apple


When I was working on my iPad and suddenly got the message "the iPAD is not connected to the Internet", I was WTH? Not exactly what I said, but polite. 😼 I only had the iPAD since July.

Computers were working, cell phones were working so it wasn't the WI-FI, but for giggles I went downstairs and flashed the router. Sounds naughty, but all I did was turn the router off, waited a minute, and turned it back on. The first rule in determining a computer error. All the other devices worked, but still got the error message on the iPAD.

I tried turning the iPAD off and back on. Still no Internet connection. I tried doing a soft-reset, similar to turning the device off and on again. Nothing

On the computer, I tried an online search to see if there was a solution to the problem. I couldn't find an answer so turned to Apple and an online chat. I didn't have long to wait  before Bre, the customer service rep came online. I told her the error message and all the steps I had gone through. She said most likely it was a hardware problem. She got me an appointment at a nearby Apple store. The earliest appointment was two days later.

At the Apple store, things went smoothly. A salesperson checked me in and sent me to the back of the store to the Genius Bar. I didn't have long to wait when a Tech called my name and came to help. I repeated what I had told Bre. He said the Wi-Fi hardware had failed. Since the iPAD was only purchased in July and it was still under warranty, he would get me a brand-new one. He turned it on and I was able to log on. I had previously backed up the device to my computer at home. He said when I got home, do a restore and I should be all set.

At home, the restore was even easier. I didn't even have to plug the device into the computer. When I turned the iPAD on, I got a message saying to put it next to my iPhone. BAM! All my settings and apps were restored in the blink of an eye!

As a computer programmer during the Stone Age, I had gone through a lot of system restores, I never had one go along without some sort of a glitch. The Apple technology is amazing!

I like the Apple products. I have had an iPhone since 2010. It was my third smartphone and by far the easiest and most intuitive smartphone I had used to that point. Since Himself is a Luddite and doesn't have the patience to learn a new device, I made him get and iPhone, too.

I like the Apple devices. Sleek, easy to use though I wish they weren't so expensive. Maybe you do get what you pay for. When this problem with the iPAD cropped up (the only problem I've had with my Apple devices. I've had 3 iPhones and 2 iPADs), Apple customer service was quick to answer. I didn't have to argue with them. The tech determined the problem with the iPAD was defective hardware, and I was given a new device. I like a company that stands behind its products and treats customers with respect.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Cheers for Apple and those who can afford to buy it.... Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret to making it a little more affordable, is not buying the latest device. There are some savings to buying an older model

      Delete
  2. Good thing you got that fixed. I have an iPad that I never use. It is from work but I would rather just use my phone or my laptop. But my hubby loves his iPad. And I love my iPhone. Those iPhones and iPads are amazing what they can do. Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the iPad when traveling. Less bulky than lugging around the laptop

      Delete
  3. .....I still say Apple is the 'dark side'...... ;) (I'm an android through and through I guess....lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to the Dark Side. We have chocolate.

      Delete
    2. Well....THAT and some of the drawing apps just might make me a convert......lol. ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your customer service was star worthy and that they gave you a new device. I loathe computer issues.
    Hope Florence has gotten tired of the drama before she and or her cohorts visit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some heavy downpours predicted from Florence. Hopefully, not enough rain to cause flooding problems

      Delete
  5. I am not exactly what you call a "teckie" and quite frankly I have ZERO patience with it (or with myself). I use HP and ASUS laptops but I do not own an iPad.

    Glad you got it straightened out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. - I forgot to add that I have Microsoft and that is hard enough to deal with! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All computers work the same way. Patience is needed to work through a problem or some percussive maintenance (a whack on the side) =^,.^=

      Delete
  7. What a great story. My friend Sally has an iPad and an iPhone. Wait, she has TWO iPads. I'm glad you had no trouble. The trouble with Sally is, she has these iPads and two Microsoft computers, and none of them are compatible or will speak to each other. You lucked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my laptop and tower use the Microsoft Windows operating system, I don't have problems with the iPAd updating photos on the computer. Files that may need to be shared when I'm working on the computer or the iPad are stored either in Evernote or Dropbox.

      Delete
  8. I agree totally with you! So happy they were good to you CJ and provided excellent service!

    ReplyDelete