Tuesday, September 18, 2018

T Stands for Looking for the Uncles

I had an urge to go on a cemetery hop. I wanted to see if I could find out where my father's uncles were buried. (My great) Uncle Joe had lived in the next town west of us, in Framingham. He had been a barber and owned a barber shop by the railroad station in the center of town.

The five gentleman in the foreground(left to right) my grandfather, Achille Todisco
Uncle Alfred, Uncle Joe, my father (named after his grandfather and Uncle Joe),
and Dad's kid brother, Mario
Dad always talked fondly about Uncle Joe. He had given dad a Waltham watch when he graduated law school. When Dad moved the family to Natick in 1952, he gave dad his old, two-tone green Dodge automobile. I remember the car, but not Uncle Joe.

Uncle Alfred's shoe shop, now a bakery at 542 Washington St. Wellesley
I have fond memories of (my great) Uncle Alfred. He was a cobbler and owned a shoe store in Wellesley, the town east of where we lived. Uncle Alfred carried Stride-Rite shoes, a brand of shoe for children. Every year before school started, Ma would take the Brother and I to get new shoes. Uncle would sit on the salesman's bench with the slanted footrest for us to be fitted with the right size shoes Ma picked out for us. I sometimes amused myself while the Brother was being fitted by sliding down the slanted footrest.

When I was around 6 or 7 years old, I desperately wanted a pair of cowboy boots. Dad must have mentioned it to Uncle because that year on my birthday, when woke up, I found a pair of shiny, brown, tooled-leather, cowboy boots. I couldn't image Ma asking Uncle to get me a pair of cowboy boots.

Uncle Alfred was interview by his local newspaper, The Wellesley Townsman. I blogged about his article in a previous Throwback Thursday

I had both of the uncles birth and death dates so requested their death certificates from their respective towns.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise to find they were both buried in St. Tarcisius Cemetery in Framingham. They were very close as brothers. I found a number for the cemetery and called to see if I could find out the section the uncles were buried in. The secretary was very helpful. Told me the uncles and their wives were buried together in the old section of the cemetery. Father Sartori Row 5, Lot 4.

The cemetery was a lot smaller than we expected, established by the parish in 1907. The entrances were barely wide enough for a car. Teague drove in and followed the driveway to down to a perimeter drive. She took a left and I spotted the Father Sartori sign. Usually when looking for a grave, we end up spending time wandering around looking for the grave stone. Teauge practically parked in front of the Uncles grave.


I was surprised to see the correct spelling of the family name. Both uncles spelled the name, Todesco, and used that spelling as their legal surname. The family story I heard about the different spelling was when Uncle Alfred came over from Italy and was signing papers to enter the country, he made a loopy "i". The official recorded this as "Todesco" even though the loopy "i" was dotted.

Both Aunties passed away long before I came along. Uncle Alfred's wife, Esterina, passed away in 1940. Auntie Clara followed in 1946. Uncle Joe passed in 1966 and Uncle Alfred in 1972. After visiting with my relatives, I went to visit the neighbors.

St. Tarcisius Cemetery is a predominantly Italian Catholic cemetery. Lots of the monuments were big and beautiful. Seems Italians spare no expense for monuments to their loved ones.

I usually photograph angel statues





but some of the monuments were just too beautiful not to photograph even though they didn't have angels on them.


This monument was carved like a tree trunk with a type of scroll on the front. I forgot to photograph the back which was carved like tree bark.



It was nice to see the cemetery allowed planting and even though the cemetery was an older cemetery family still visited and took care of the graves.


St. Anthony of Padua is a popular saint among Italians. He's always depicted holding the Christ Child on a Bible. His story that while imprisoned the Christ Child appeared to him as he opened his Bible., and blessed him with the gift of preaching God's word.


This monument shows Mary as a child, Later, she would become the mother of Christ. In this grouping she is with her mother, St. Anne. The arch above the figures is carved with an intricate rose design. Roses are symbols of Mary, especially white rose. Legend says when she kissed white roses in Heaven, they blushed and turned red.


I loved seeing the milkweed pods ready to burst with seeds. I didn't see any butterflies in the cemetery.


Another beautiful angel.


A double heart


A little angel in front of an elaborately etched stone with an unusual round shape. There weren't many non-Italian surnames in the cemetery


Another beautiful etching


Another little angel in front of this veteran's stone. I wonder if he had been a pilot. Can you see the airplane in the upper right corner?


My favorite stone in the cemetery


two stone kitties nestled on top.


A day dreaming angel


This stone had a very unusual shape. Daniel was a Red Sox fan.


Since Daniel was a firefighter, I thought the stone was carved to look like flames


Another lovely, etched stone depicting a group of children. 
"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3 (KJV) (NB: The King James version of the Bible is the only Bible that is copyright-free to quote from.)


I thought this was the most beautiful stone in the cemetery.


Someone was fond of bunnies


The family name was Spinnazola, but I loved how the family used the nickname, "Spinny". Statues of angels, the Virgin Mary, and solar lights decorated this grave. And tucked behind the flag,


a little French bulldog.

As we were about to leave, I had gone back to say good-bye to the Aunties and Uncles. Teague was heading back to the car when she called out to me.

"I think you might want to see this." I thought she must have found an unusual stone to photograph. And she did


Another stone with my family name and a mystery


Was Albert related to my family? He was born in 1916 and was the right age to be a child of Uncle Alfred, but Uncle Alfred didn't have a son named Albert. His children, his first son, Tony died shortly after birth, followed by Anthony, Charles, Arthur, Eleanor, and Alfred. 

Auntie Clara, Uncle Joe's wife, was divorced and had three children (Frank, Lilian, and Rose) by her first husband. Uncle Joe and Auntie Clara didn't have children of their own.

After wandering around the cemetery,we went to Murphy's Eats and Treats as it's down the street from the cemetery


Teague had a tuna melt with a side of fries and a root beer. I had a bacon cheeseburger and with a side of fries and a Raspberry Lime Rickey.



Then we ended lunch with some ice cream. Peppermint stick for Teague and Death by Chocolate for me.

While trying to find a link between Albert and my family, I did find that Uncle Alfred's only daughter passed away earlier this year.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

34 comments:

  1. That was a great tour you made to connect with your past. There are some very beautiful gravestones there, thanks for sharing. Your food looked deliciously unhealthy, yummy, I wouldn't mind a plate of it right now! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, what a wonderful post-I enjoyed reading all of the history and seeing this lovely cemetary-I like it that the older cemetaries still allow plantings. The kitties were too sweet as was the bulldog and rabbit. headstones must not have been as expensive back then-to add those lovely carvings
    Your food looks delish especially the ice cream-yum
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think headstones were expensive back then. The Italian custom was to bring a card with money to the wake to put towards the headstone. Some of the larger monuments are family plot graves which was also a custom back in the old days.

      Delete
  3. An amazing post to read, thank you for sharing the story of your search for your relatives place of rest and now you seem to have a mystery relative to learn more about.
    The headstones looked so interesting, works of art and so well looked after.
    Your meal looked delicious, Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the fun of researching genealogy. There's always another rabbit hole to chase down. From what I've found so far, Albert is not related to my family

      Delete
  4. Oh boy! A mystery relative, how exciting! Maybe a scandal... I love a family scandal! I want to find out about my Great Grandfather....and why he abandoned his family....I keep coming up with all sorts of romantic scenarios in my imagination.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that is one mystery that can't really be answered unless you can talk to great grandpa. The truth is probably not as romantic as you ave imagined. what a Gretchen Sunshine, I am. Blame it on Tropical Storm Florence.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed visiting and finding out about your family, so interesting 😁. The angels are so beautiful too! Your lunch is well deserved after all that exploring and I'd like to try a Raspberry Lime Rickey some day, oh and maybe the yummy chocolate ice cream too ...lol 😉. Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The angel statues are so beautiful and so different from each other

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your cemetery visits. Some of those grave markers were out of this world. This post is so timely, too. I saw on the news last night that ALL plantings and items left on and around gravestones are banned in all cemeteries in a town just south of Wichita. People are up in arms about it, too. Apparently, it's been a city ordinance forever, but hasn't been enforced until now. Unless something is glued or permanently attached, they are not allowed. Seems the mowers/weed whacker guys were getting attacked by loose stones, toys, etc. on and around the graves.

    And I thought I knew how to eat unhealthy (grin). Thanks for sharing the graves and your meals and drinks with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s sad that modern cemeteries are all about groundskeeping convenience and not about letting families have a place to honor their loved ones

      Delete
  7. The Uncles were certainly keepers weren't they?
    The cemetery is beautiful and looks so serene. Thanks for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cemetery is small, tucked behind a quiet neighborhood. And so alive with the plantings and knick knacks

      Delete
  8. I think the St. Anne statue is my favorite, but most of all I enjoy the variety of markers. Albert may not be related in real life, but you could adopt him after the fact. He makes a fun mystery to add to the family lore.

    That bacon cheeseburger and Death by Chocolate ice cream sounds like the perfect lunch, and your photos show me it was indeed perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very beautiful statue. There were some seriously talented sculptors and stone carvers represented

      Delete
  9. Loved hearing about those shiny cowboy boots that you got for your birthday. What a fun and interesting story.

    Those headstones are beautiful! So many interesting ones. But I agree with you about the most beautiful headstone. That lady is stunning.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the way the sculptor captured the drape of her garment

      Delete
  10. I thoroughly enjoyed your story along with the photos of the cemetery. Always just so interesting! And how intricate and beautiful some of them are-wow.Looks like a well deserved lunch after all the adventure. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CJ; I really enjoyed every aspect of this post today;
    in learning some more about your family and the cemetery visit. This cemetery reminds me of the one in the town I grew up in, tiny little town and the population; probably 85% Italian; ♥ you are right; they honored the deceased and no expense was spared. beautiful monuments ♥♥ { glad you got your cowboy boots } ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either they were honoring their loved ones or wanted to show off. :-D

      Delete
  12. Always fascinating CJ! Thanks for the tour!! I hope cemetary wandering becomes a pasttime of mine again one day.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just go find a cemetery and wander among the stones

      Delete
  13. Always fascinating to take a walk in a cemetery...love all your photos of the beautiful stones! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much art and history to be discovered in a cemetery

      Delete
  14. It's interesting how many family names got changed when families came to the US. But it is interesting that both your uncles lived longer than their wives. I don't think that is so common. It was a fascinating post today. Hope it was a happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was a good day. Wet, but good. Hope you survived the rains.

      Delete
  15. Fascinating post about your genealogy, CJ. You know so many facts about your ancestors. It seems whenever you and Teague go on these cemetery jaunts, you leave with another mystery.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding and solving mysteries is what genealogy is about

      Delete
  16. Good for you CJ! Such amazing history you have found out and continue to find out about your family! Truly love the gravestones! That cat one is precious! I remember my first pair of cowboy boots, I wore them out and I never had another pair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I forgot to say, the food looks so good!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry to be so late.i loved this post! I enjoyed seeing photos of the lovely stones, and monuments. I had never seen ones with unusual shapes or with kitties before. It is so interesting to find where family members are buried. We call this cemetery surfing. I will show some photos I took in a Maine cemetery on my Blog in a week or so. I wasn’t looking for family just looking at the old dates. I found some very old ones. Thanks for sharing. See you Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete