Thursday, September 6, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Charlie was proud of Doris's [ed: Should be Doris'. I was told the new grammar rule for possessive ending in s is s's. Looks weird. Anywho] ability with the sewing machine but he would not help her when it came to hemming the dress. So one [ed: day] when I was off, she asked me if I would help her. She had sewn a dress and needed to cut the bottom and make a hem. I said sure. She was so shy when she asked me.

She told me that he would not help her on this. He never complained about what she spent on food, clothes, or material. He did want to know what she spent. He was keeping a record. On the grounds that maybe an economist might want to see or write a book on how a family lived during its life time and what they bought. He had books on what was spent for years. After he died I told the children what his aim was for the accounting of a life time. They threw the account books away or destroyed them.

Charlie was a happy man. He enjoyed being at home with his family.

Doris was a wonderful cook. And she tried a lot of recipes. She told me that she would ask him what he wanted for dinner, lunch, and breakfast. His answer was anything just make sure there was plenty of food on the table.

After I had been with [ed: the Arnolds] a while, Doris would ask me if I liked a variety of foods and desserts. She would make the dishes and the desserts, pies, etc. and tell Charlie, Joe likes this. She was trying to get some help from him to say cook chicken or etc. No help.

One night when I got home, Doris was in the process of getting a night treat on the table.. She had a place set for me as well.

She said right on time. Anyway we were eating a variety of goodies. Charlie suddenly said, "I've been told that a lot of the food we have, that you are as she tells me, 'Joe like this' I think that since you get the say, you should chip in for the cost. I said well, what else do I share?

He said, "Never mind."

11 comments:

  1. Your dad had such a good way to describe people and how they were. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am struck by the comment about keeping a book to record your life and then having your kids throw it away after you pass. I know you can't hold onto everything and keep someone's life as a shrine, but it is still sad to see someone's work just go into the trash. What will my daughter do to my art? I can only guess. Happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much that you don't want to keep things. The reality is there is only so much space in a home. Maybe the art can be digitized. Stored in the cloud on thumbdrives it can still be accessed.

      Delete
  3. LOL Good comeback! Your father had a quick wit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. my grandfather was the cook extrodinaire... though my grandmother was as well; much like the accounting books; they had written stuff down { recipes} then got so used to making the dishes the recipes went by the way side. to this day my mom wishes to cod she had the "coleslaw" recipe and the "peanut butter fudge" ...the secret "ingredients" went with my grandparents to the heavens !! :) ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like my grandma’s recipes. Never written down. I have a very easy fudge recipe that includes instructions for other flavors. Might not be your grandma’s recipe, but it may come close.

      https://cjkennedyink.blogspot.com/2009/11/oh-fudge.html

      Delete
  5. I'm with Erika. Since I have no living relatives, I suspect my art will be thrown away, too. I can't even GIVE it to my friends as gifts, because they don't "get it." They sort of roll their eyes and give a half-hearted thanks. It's too bad all those accounts went in the trash. I'm sure mine will end up the same way, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all in the same boat whether we have heirs or not. They may not want or if they want, they may not have room to archive stuff.

      Delete
  6. Your dad was good with his comments!
    That's too bad about the account books!
    I truly love reading these stories! Thanks CJ!

    ReplyDelete