Monday, December 24, 2018

Coptic Binding

Besides the paste paper workshop, Masscribes also had a book binding workshop in the afternoon taught by Anna. The binding was going to be a coptic binding. Technically, any binding with exposed stitches is a coptic binding. This particular binding was sewed using 4 needles using a kettle stitch which resembles a chain.


We used Arches Text wove for the pages. Torn to approximately, 6 inches by 4 inches grouped together to form 5 signatures. The workshop fee included the bookboards, linen thread, needles, paper, and Anna generously supplied an elastic with wooden bead to keep the book closed. The beads were covered in various Washi tape. She even brought extra kitty cat tape and that is what I chose for my bead. Surprise! Anna also cut cardboard to make a book cradle for each of us. The cradle makes it easier to align pages, signatures, and covers.

I have made many different styles of hand-made books. Some sewn, some not. I found the kettle stitch to be extremely challenging. As I have left-right issues, I wasn't able to complete my book at the workshop even though Anna sat with me and tried to show me how.

No worries. back at home, I found a YouTube video where the instructor, Sharon Green, used double needles to sew the binding using the kettle stitch. With some starting and stopping, I was able to stitch along with the video. After some 3 hours, I completed my book.


I posted my efforts on the guild Facebook page. Anna graciously congratulated me on finishing the project. The stitching used to attach the covers is a slight variation to what Anna taught. It's all good. 

The other part of the assignment is to fill the book. Books will be shown at the Masscribes annual Spring brunch.

Have you ever made a book with a coptic binding?

16 comments:

  1. Looks really, really good. My coptic binding never looked so neat! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn’t look neat up close. Thank heavens for poor lighting 😄

      Delete
  2. No, but i would like to... LorriMarieJenkins makes YouTube videos and she has one for the coptic stitch .I don't know if it is the kettle stitch or not but she uses two needles and after watching the video i think i can follow along.. we'll see..lol Kudos to you for sticking with it! I think it looks fabulous! Can't wait to see what you do with your book! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t wait to see what I do with the book, too! Will start to fill it after the New Year

      Delete
  3. I have done a book with coptic binding, but it's been quite awhile. I could use a refresher. Your book came out great. Have a wonderful holiday. Enjoy your fish tonight (I am guessing you will have fish...) and may your day be filled with peace, happiness and joy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, we broke with tradition and didn’t have fish. But it was a great day.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this, and it looks difficult to me. Youtube is a treasure, isn't it! I'd be afraid to fill the book for fear of messing it up lol

    Happy Christmas Eve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouTube is great. And you gave me an idea for a post next week. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. It IS a challenging stitch to learn but once you've got it, you've GOT it! Looks AWESOME! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, by the last stitch I think I had gotten the rhythm down. I’m pretty pleased with how the book turned out.

      Delete
  6. I find binding ANY book by hand beyond my abilities, since I have no pinch grip.

    I was told by my great aunt that if you want to learn a project and you are left handed like she was, you sit directly across from the person and do exactly what they do. By sitting directly opposite, you are mirroring their actions. My great aunt was left handed, but her teachers forced her to write right handed. They didn't allow any left handed activity in the school she attended. She always wrote left handed, but was force to write the other way in school. She told me she learned tatting, embroidery, knitting, and crochet from right handed people. BTW, she was a medical doctor in an age when most females were nurses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirroring may work for some Southpaws, but not all. Mirroring causes me to get uber confused about left right. I need to sit next to and do everything the same way the instructor does. I was taught how to crochet right-handed.

      WOW about your aunt. What an amazing accomplishment.

      Delete
  7. I forgot to thank you for the carousel horse emoji. Thank you, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing CJ! I have never done anything like this, because I thought it looked too difficult! LOL! You did a wonderful job! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad I had the video to follow along. It’s not difficult, but it is time consuming, but also satisfying when you end

      Delete