Sunday, December 16, 2018

Why Mrs. Claus Was So Busy Last Sunday


The rooms were cleaned, windows washed on the inside and new curtains hung. The new, little tree which I can manage all by myself went up, too, along with Himself's early Christmas present, a new tree topper.


Santa in his sleigh flies around the Christmas star


Even the garage door got decked out with Christmas magnets


The stockings were hung though the Eldest's (the needlepoint Santa my mother made) was taken down and mailed to the Eldest with her Christmas presents and odds and ends.


Mary and Joe canoodle in their chair


We used to have an upside-down, artificial Christmas tree (half) that hung on the wall. This was to keep the breakable ornaments away from Mitty and Ink. The mini-split was installed on that wall so the tree had to come down. The breakables now hang on the Dr. Seuss-ish tree I designed and Himself constructed when I sold and personalized ornaments at craft fares. Many of these ornaments are from Vaillancourt Forlkart, a small business right here in town that makes beautiful Christmas ornaments.


Santa and me, age 5, 1960. Santa and The Brother, age 4 or 5, 1953 or '54


The new curtains. The elf was trying to help but he fell in the sofa. Either that or he went sofa diving looking for stray M & M candies.


Frosty and Santa blow molds used to have a light in them. These were displayed in the front window of Himself's childhood home. They're kinda cute and kinda creepy, and fit right in with kinda creepy Ninja Claus who dances and sings, Everyone was Kung Fu Fighting while twirling his nunchuck.


My favorite holiday activity. Decorating the crèche. Everyone is welcome.


Christmas cards trickling in are hung on a ribbon.


The Eldest sent us a card. Isn't it pretty?

Do you decorate for the season?

22 comments:

  1. Wow, that was indeed a lot of hard work to get everything looking so Christmassy. (is that a word?) It looks fantastic, now you can relax and enjoy it. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look nice, if I do say so myself. And miraculously, it's still clean! :-D

      Delete
  2. Aaah i've sent out my Christmas cards but so far only received 2... might be skimpy this year, not that i get that many anyway but still 2? :) Loved seeing your Christmas... Your ahead of me .. i still need to get my tree up..lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect many cards as I don't think people really send cards any more. I'm only ahead because we down-sized the tree. Decorating doesn't require 2 days of stringing lights or hanging 1,000 ornaments :-D

      Delete
    2. I have also found this year to be noticeably low on Christmas cards so far - and I actually sent out more than usual! I still like doing it, so never worry about how many show up.

      Delete
    3. Same, Finn. I still like making them.

      Delete
  3. Your house is looking so beautiful and festive CJ. I am impressed you even wash your windows. I only do the dog smudgy ones on a regular basis, and I must say some of mine do need a good cleaning. (smile). I think Santa will enjoy a trip to your house. Hope you get all rain today. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only washed the windows because I could hear Ma screaming, "You can't put up new curtains on dirty windows!" :-D

      Delete
  4. I'm struck by your metal tree display. It makes quite the statement, and I like the idea even though I don't need to keep breakables away from interference :) Your curtains inspire me. Maybe the time has come to add to my blinds-only look. We have Mother's old felt card display piece, but we don't get much in the way of cards anymore. Such a shame! Not that I send them either, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The metal tree stays up year round. It usually holds Christmas pictures of the girlies through the years. Those got moved to the little tree I used last year. Which I now call the Shrub of Shame :-D

      Delete
    2. "Shrub of Shame" roflol! You remind me of our first Christmas tree as a married couple. We sang "Oh, Christmas Bush" to it all season long.

      Delete
  5. Downsizing is good! Less to put up and less to take down.....but you have me beat by a mile! Looks awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think your Charlie Brown tree takes the prize. I couldn't convince Himself. At least not this year.
      =^,.^=

      Delete
  6. Looks so festive! I like it.
    We have some decorations around the house, the colour theme is red and green.

    Enjoy the remainder of the weekend, and enjoy the coming new week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That new tree topper is awesome! :D

    Your decorations look great!! Both lovely and unique. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself really liked it. I done good this year!

      Delete
  8. CJ, thanks for the smile! I love this post! You have decorated everything wonderfully! I love the curtains! I love the new tree topper! If I lived closer, I would be asking your hubby to make me a tree to! That is so cool and I love all the ornaments! Everything is so beautiful! The most precious is your creche! Beautiful card from your eldest! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The creche is my favorite. Makes me smile especially if I find a new visitor to add.

      Delete
  9. Your home really looks festive and I laughed and laughed at the elf that fell behind the cushion. Your tree topper is wonderful and the magnets on the garage door really shine. You created a true winter wonderland in your own home, dear CJ. I only sent two cards to art friends this year, and only two tip-ins because of my sewing machine malfunction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your sewing machine fixed soon. You must be lost without it.

      Delete