Monday, January 21, 2019

How Does Your Garden Grow?


The tail end of the storm and happily, the mailbox survived.


We had snow and sleet which didn't change to freezing rain and up to a half inch of ice. The ice would have meant power failures.


Though we got a good 6 inches of snow, I don't think the storm was the blockbuster the weather dudes were hoping for predicted. (I'm not complaining)  Either that or the Power Company Guys were bound and determined to keep the electricity on so they could watch the Patriots (local football team) play a game that would determine if the team would be going to the Super Bowl. (They are.)


Sunday night was supposed to be a Super Blood Wolf Moon. I went out to take a look, I don't think the eclipse had started and I can't seem to take a good picture of the moon with my iPhone 6 camera. There's the bright spot of the moon and then some sort of reflection/refraction making my pic look like an alien scene. It was too cold to stand outside to watch.


This morning's temperature is BRRRRRRRR with windchill making it feel even more BRRRRRRRR


Jack Frost painted some snowflake patterns that look like the trees have been covered with snow.


The birds were at the feeder during the storm. They will have to wait a couple of days when the weather is supposed to warm up for me to shovel a path to the feeder to refill it.


We hired a young couple to snowblow the driveway and shovel the front walk.  They also cleaned an area by the mailbox for trash pick up


And a patch was shoveled from the front walk right down to the mailbox.


With the driveway cleared, we can get out if we want to. It's too cold today. We don't want to. 


Die Frau says the weather will by dry today. Der Herr hasn't come out of the house in a long time. I don't know if the catgut string they ride on is frozen or it's just too dry. The weather house measures relative humidity. This morning the humidity was 61%. Either way, I'm with dem Herr and will stay inside today.

As Jack Chase, the Boston newscaster when I was a kid, used to sign off his broadcast with, Make it a good day.

How does your garden grow?


16 comments:

  1. Nothing doing in my garden! It's cold here, too but not as bad as over there, for which I am very thankful. Keep warm! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do for a couple of days anyway. By Thurs, temps are supposed to get up close to 40 with rain. Weird Winter weather.

      Delete
  2. Brrrr!!!! I'm shivering here, and we're having highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s lol. Your snow is beautiful! I also tried to get eclipse photos on my cell phone but didn't have much luck *sigh* I need lessons, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come up here and admire the beauty of the snow, I'll go to your house and babysit your 40s. Even our 20s!:-D

      Delete
  3. It is sure cold today, isn't it? I have spent the day keeping the wood stove going. I stepped outside for about 2 minutes but no thank you. I will stay home inside and be warm. We got about 8-10 inches and some sleet but luckily no ice. Glad you kept your power on. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself was very glad we didn't lose power, too.
      :-D

      Delete
  4. I love to see the "effects" of weather in other areas so I'm glad u posted your snow photos - ... we got 1" during the night but it froze so very icy roads even though minimal drop. The plow hasn't been by yet so we will stay in. If it's just snow we don't worry because we have a jeep but ice - no way do I want to slide all over. stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like snow or ice, but as you said ice is worst. I spun donuts one time on a highway after hitting black ice. Winter? I hibernate

      Delete
  5. Goodness, you did get a lot of snow. I walked outside today and almost slipped on my petard. The ice was under and on top of the snow. Good thing we didn't get more than an inch of snow, or my electricity might have been out, too.

    So glad you found someone(s) to shovel and blow snow. They were quite considerate, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great. I thought they would show up on Monday because the storm took forever to wind down. Got a message that they would be here late Sun. night before things had a chance to freeze to cement. Did the job, quickly, all that we asked. Well worth the money.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, that does look a lot of snow.
    No snow for my part of the UK but the temperatures will be about -3 later tonight.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily, this really was a small storm. In my area it's not uncommon to get 1 to 2 feet of snow.

      Delete
  7. You still got it pretty bad! I have to admit, the people who are shovelling for you, are doing an amazing job! Please keep warm! We have been very freezing here! When I go out to snow shovel, my face has been freezing, but tomorrow, it's suppose to warm up a little! Your moon picture, is like how mine turn out, untill this past sunday! Will be posting my picture soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been brutally cold. Make sure you cover your face with a scarf or don't stay out to long as hypothermia can set in quickly. Temps are warming today and near 40 tomorrow with rain so a lot of this snow should melt. I hope we don't get another freeze

      Delete