Thursday, January 10, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

One day my 3 stripe sergeant came to me saying he would like to find the native village and see if we could get some souvenirs. He said that he and some of the men had tried to follow the natives to their villagee but each time they lost them in the jungle. They could hear them but that was all.

I suggested that he should try to get a jeep and maybe we could follow them that way. They could be heard yacking. Even though we could see .

He did and about 5 of us could get in including the driver. Three more walked. We started up river, following the sounds made by the natives.

The going was rather rough the jeep wasn't doing so well over the stones and it kept getting to the point where as rugged as it was, it came to a stop.

I suggested that we had better walk. If that jeep climbed a rock and came down hard it could break a rod and other under carriage. We got out and I heard my name called. And there on top of a mound was my friend Sarli. I asked him to come down. He said no. I said damn it come down. Ok and I told him what we were looking for. He came down and took us up a dirt stairway/ We would not have found it.

We sat down and faced one of the most beautiful sights I'd seen. We were face to face with a mountain across from the village. I could down into the abyss. The mountain looked like it was a sponge. The way water poured out of it.

I think in my photo book I have a good picture o fit. Some are missing I know some of my General are gone. I think that my sister, Emma, must have taken some of me as well. I made the mistake of leaving when she was looking at the pictures. If they are there you might want to photocopy some and put them in this whatever you wish to call it.

We got our souvenirs and began our trek down river to our camp. Sarli gave me one that looked like an oar and being puzzled I used it as one and looked at him. He shook his head. Took it back. And pushed the front end forward and then  swung it around and I understood. It was a weapon. The point to kill the person and with the blade end cut the head off.

Not long after we arrived to our camp we heard shots being fired. We ran for our rifles and stood by under cover to see if the enemy was around. Nothing happened for a long while so we returned to our quarters.

The next day we got the story of the shots. It seemed that our Southerners were familiar with corn liquor, also developed coconut milk liquor. Knew how to brew it, etc. Two groups were making it and selling it. The same price. But one group cut their price, which upset the other so they destroyed the others equipment and there was a return salute. So no more brewing.

16 comments:

  1. I have to leave soon but I'm going to come back and read from the beginning of your notes. My father wrote his biography and I have it here at the house and have always thought about either trying to illustrate or at least post passages. Your post(s) interested me. I'll be back when I have more time to read this. (I love reading others' family history)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so lucky Dad tried to relate some of his genealogy and experiences. You must feel the same way. And thank you for taking time to read and comment.

      Delete
  2. whoa....that's one H of a "souvenir" your dad got...

    unique story on the "brew" tho I'm sure those that had the equipment damaged didn't think so much of the competition !!~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure if Dad ever brought his souvenir home. I never saw anything around the house like that. And the story of the rival stills sounds like something out of a movie 😃

      Delete
  3. Interesting chapter. I agree with Sandy, I like reading other people's family history too! (and I like watching other people's home movies as well....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see and hear how others lived and celebrated.

      Delete
  4. Oh my God that is too funny about the White Lightning made from coconut milk. You made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mighty, mighty pleasin'. Pappy's goin' squeezin'. White Lightnin'! :-D

      Delete
  5. I guess those boys still had to have a little fun, even though it was wartime. But that souvenir sounds a little dangerous. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard Dad talk about the souvenir. First time I heard about it was in the Notebooks. As I said, I'm not sure he came home with it.

      Delete
  6. Another great story. A liquor war in the middle of war, oh dear! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised the guys had time to construct a still.

      Delete
  7. How incredibly interesting. Souvenirs of war were common, but the one your father got was so unique. Great story trekking through the jungle to find all that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That view must have been spectacular for him to remember that all those long years ago.

      Delete
  8. wow, interesting about what was thought to be an oar was a weapon. would love to come across a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is some souvenir!! Coconut milk liquor? Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete