Tuesday, March 26, 2019

T Stands For Cousins

Two weeks ago, I blogged how I had made contact with a cousin on my maternal grandmother's side. We've been sharing information and in an e-mail, and he included one of his daughters as she's been doing some genealogy and made a trip to Italy a couple of years ago.


Color me giddy blue when the daughter contacted me to say she was in the area and could we meet. She was going to be on her way back to New York so I asked if she wanted to come to the house as she would practically be driving by the house. Well, just 10 minutes off the Mass. Pike on her way home.



She said she would be happy to stop by for coffee and... I had coffee pods, baked some of Ma's cookies (gluten and sugar-free). The cookie was  flavored with vanilla and lemon for the frosting.  The cookies looked like Easter chicks. Being Italian, I couldn't stop there so I made a cheese pizza. One side with gravy (sauce) and cheese and the other side with a bit of olive oil and cheese as the Young One has problems with tomato. Himself made a salad.

We compared notes on our share ancestor, her great-great grandmother and my grandmother are first cousin. Her father had written information on his grandmother's children and their children. So I was able to add to my family tree.

My young cousin told me she had taken a trip to Italy to Ariano Irpino (formerly Ariano Puglia) where her 2nd great-grandmother and my grandmother were born.  She had gone looking for records to apply for Italian citizenship. She told me Italy allows citizenship if you have an Italian ancestor. Italy recognizes jure sanguinis or citizenship by blood. There are all sorts of hoops to jump through and necessary documents.  While in Ariano, a tiny town, she was at the town hall for records and casually asked if there were any residents with her last name. She was given directions and told to go see this man, A. And the clerk even wrote her a letter of introduction so A wouldn't think she was an axe murderer.

As it turned out, A was actually related to her father's side of the family. He invited her into his home. I think she said he was an artist and painted. On the wall he had a picture of family members and she said one of them looked exactly like her brother.

We enjoyed good food, company, stories, and pictures. She has a sister who lives in Massachusetts, she said she visits frequently, and I told her she was welcome to stop by any time. I was so excited by her visit, I forgot to take pictures of the table set with food and our beverages (tea for me and ginger ale for her) until she had left, and I was cleaning up.




Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

44 comments:

  1. WOW, that is really something - having an opportunity to meet up with a relative you never knew that you had! Very exciting and special!

    Oh, and that food - can I stop by too next time you make that pizza and cookies? Just looking at your homemade food makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool story CJ. Genealogy is so fascinating, isn't it? It is great you got to add in more relatives to your family tree. I can never keep this second cousin once removed and second cousin straight. But sounds like a fun get together and I am glad she could stop by. Have a happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The generational lines can sometimes make your head explode. Happily Ancestry.com does the calculation for you.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to meet up with your newly discovered relations, glad you were able to get to know each other in person. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my grandmother and her great-great grandmother were smiling that we got a chance to meet

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful visit, how exciting! So glad that you got to compare notes about your family history too 😁. Your Italian meal looks so delicious, I'll help you finish the pizza if there is any left ...lol 😉. Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great that you got to meet her. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow! You need to set up a family reunion! With a table for people to exchange info with each other! Now THAT would be fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that not many of the cousins are interested.

      Delete
  7. I'm so impressed! It must be exciting to meet new relatives and hear more about your family tree. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. What exciting news, CJ! That's so cool that your cousin's daughter happened by and you got to meet. Also very cool that she's into the family genealogy like you. What a wonderful gathering it must have been.

    While cleaning out my many boxes of memorabilia, I was able to add people and info about them to our family tree. On my fathers mother's side, we have info back to the 1650s. But the other three lines only back to the mid-1800s. I've put it all into an old version of Family Tree Maker. But it's so old, I can't figure out how to upload it to Ancestry.com. I'd really like to find more of my ancestors.

    I really enjoyed this post.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancestry is no longer supporting Family Tree Maker.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to hear that. I have a lot of data I could addd.

      Thanks for you comment on my blog. I think the Instant Relatives photo montage is a terrific idea.

      Delete
    3. You can still add your data, you just have to do it manually

      Delete
  9. How absolutely exciting for you. I am in total awe that you were able to find yet another link to your family genealogy, CJ. And of course, it was nice to meet a distant family member in person, too. Your lunch looks lovely and those cookies were fun, too. Thanks for sharing your lunch and tea with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to meet a cousin I never even knew I had. She's planning another trip back to Italy so perhaps she'll look up some info for me.

      Delete
  10. oh how exciting and very cool too!! Especially nice that you had a meet up in person.Just finding out more info about my family tree too:) thanks for sharing your yummy lunch and happy news. happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exciting to make the connection and to have someone to share information with.

      Delete
  11. It must have been thrilling to meet up with a family member and learn about their family findings and add them to your research. It sounds like you had a great visit.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially since a few weeks ago, I didn't know these people even existed.

      Delete
  12. Wow this is so exciting! I am glad you shared all of this with us-very happy for you both to get to know each other and learn more ancestery hugs
    Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hopefully to be able to share our findings.

      Delete
  13. Wow! What a way to reach across decades over coffee and cookies!
    How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely to make this connection, so pleased you had a great time together.
    Your food sounds delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely. We started as strangers and ended up family

      Delete
  15. How wonderful! And your meal looks sooo yummy. Got leftovers? (Not that I could do anything about them now unless they went in a blender. Ha. Ha.) I bet you are an amazing cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor you. Amazing cook? Wouldn't go that far. Most of what I make is edible. :-D

      Delete
  16. Fascinating! Cool to have that new connection. I recently "met" a cousin from my dad's side. We exchanged a few photos and info.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her father had sent me photos of his grandmother when she was older.

      Delete
  17. How exciting! Exciting that you meet a relative you didn't know you had. And exciting that you have been able to add people to your family tree.
    I didn't know one could apply for Italian citizenship by proving you are of Italian descent.
    Sorry I'm late to comment,
    but a happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never late. Always happy to have you drop by. I didn't know you could apply for Italian citizenship either. Something to think about.

      Delete
  18. How wonderful for you! I bet that is a visit you will not soon forget. And how wonderful that she visits the area often. I hope you have many more amazing visits to glean more family history.
    Happy Belated Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially when she comes back from her trip to Italy

      Delete
  19. CJ!!! This is fantastic! I am so happy for you! I am smiling big time! Thanks for sharing this! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my grandma and her cousin are smiling, too, to think of the grand-daughter and great-great granddaughter making a connection.

      Delete
  20. How fun and interesting! What a wonderful event, and a surprise, too! Amazing how you are getting in touch with ties in your unknown family! I am glad she got in touch with you when going through. How many times do we all think of things like that, but don't follow through. Look at what we are missing! Thanks for sharing. See you at the next Tea Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad she let me know she was in the area.

      Delete
  21. what a nice visit that must have been. I will come back to read your fatherr's journal when I get a chance. We are leaving soon.

    ReplyDelete