Thursday, May 9, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Photo taken 1960 or 1962 when Uncle Vincent (seated) was appointed as a judge at the East Boston Municipal Court
L-R: Ma, Lucia Barrasso (I think, Uncle Vincent's sister, and mother to Ned), Ned Barrasso, Gloria Mottola (Uncle Vincent's daugther), not sure if the older woman is his first wife, Amalie or second wife, Alma, Uncle Vincent's son, Rudy, and Dad
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

While we still lived in Cambridge, Mother began to talk about looking to buy a house. This section of the nation was was in building of homes. Prices were rising as well. We began to talk and look around did not make a move. We did not have enough for a down payment. The veterans had a chance of getting a mortgage at 4% which was a good deal. The average interest rate was 6%.

On March 2, 1951, I receive a notice that the examination that I took, given by the Bar Examiners, stating that I had passed and would be notified to appear before the full bench of the state's Judicial Court to take the oath of office.It was a happy household and so were our families. I received a letter from the Clerk of Court setting a date for me to appear and be sworn in as a lawyer.

On April 14, 1951, I took the necessary oaths for lawyers, ethics, etc. I was still working at the Veterans Administration. I would be there until sometime in 1952 due to the Massachusetts V.A. was going to shut down and go to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We were asked if we were willing to move to Penn. a promise was made about promotions. It would have been a good one as I would be in charge of a section. As usual, Mother refused to move. There were other opportunities that I could have had, but I did not bother. They required moving. I stayed at the V.A. until they moved.

I had the good fortune of having a lot of time coming that I did not take and the government paid for this up to 60 days. I didn't have the 60 but there were a good number and I along with my salary there was an extra check of $220. We lived off this for a while.

The cut off came before Thanksgiving. I applied for jobs, but got the old song I was too heavy [ed: too educated] for a job. But finally [ed: something I can't make out] with Jordan Marsh. I was doing good there. The manager of the men's department liked the way I kept my counter. Men's shirts, socks, etc. even sold suits when the other clerks were busy with a customer. He came to me one day and asked if I would like to stay on as my job for the holiday season. He wanted me to stay and get trained to run a section and buy good for the store.

It was a situation of yes and no. He said think about it. I did and the pro and con was that starting a legal business was tough and in discussing things with my teachers they said that it would be tough but as you progressed and hand a drawer full of cases, you would be ok. It would take time.

Uncle Vincent when I ws sworn in told me to go to his office as he would help me. The first day I was in his office, he was going out and said "come with me". I asked where we going? "Come with me," he said. This request I heard Uncle Michael say the same thing. It was a way of not letting anybody know who they were going.

My cousin, Ned, was also with Uncle Vincent. He was with him a long time. Ned was a wonderful guy and lawyer. Uncle marginalized him and he had a hard time passing the bar examination which was not unusual. He was not alone. Many candidates to the exams more than once. The first time was for try outs. Just to see how they were. Some like myself just jumped in without taking a review under lawyers who were established  and could coach you. Not to do so was stupid. I  passed with flying colors, no oral examination.

16 comments:

  1. 'Mother refused to move - I know that saying from our family, too. Great photos, nice to put faces to some of the names. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma was devoted to her mother and did a lot of things for her. She was also very close to her sister so wouldn't want to move.

      Delete
  2. Another interesting read from his journal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great you have these stories. They are first hand info too even if your dad was suffering from dementia. Why is it the older we get the more those past stories mean? Happy Thursday. Enjoy the sun-it would be a good morning to be home working in the garden. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories are our connection to the past. As we get older, we realized the shared experiences we have with our elders.

      Delete
  4. I like the fact that he 'jumped in' and passed the bar! No fooling around for your father! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope just get 'er done. He set the bar pretty high which was sometimes tough at report card time.

      Delete
  5. funny how your dad mentions being over qualified for a job; I've heard that myself and wondered when that "excuse" originated !! passing the bar is hard; some take if three and four times before managing; the guy I used to date took it twice and basically gave up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, after all that time in law school to give up. Poor dude must have been really crushed when he didn't pass the second time.

      Delete
  6. A judge for an uncle and a lawyer for a dad. Impressive, CJ:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should clarify. The judge is my great-uncle, but we always called him Uncle like Dad did.

      Delete
  7. Lovely story. I was surprised your mother didn't want to move till I saw what you wrote. Seems your father must have loved your mother a LOT, or they would have moved. Most men would have never taken their wives requests into consideration back in those days. At least from what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did love her a lot. She saved every greeting card ever given to her. He wrote her notes in the cards he gave her. I read them all while cleaning out the house.

      Delete
  8. Your dad should be very proud of himself!

    ReplyDelete