Tuesday, June 11, 2019

T Stands for Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

But the locals just call it Lake Webstah (pronounced Webster without the distinctive and  sexy Boston accent.)

An unexpected errand found us in the town of Webster. It was dinner time, and we were going to go to a nearby 99 Restaurant for their lobster roll. I then remembered a restaurant in Webster on the lake that my elderly neighbor, Prissy liked and raved about so we set the GPS to find Point Breeze.



The real name of the lake is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. The name comes from a Nipmuc Native American tribe. When we first moved out here, I had heard the name meant "I fish my side. You fish your side, and no one fishes in the middle."

I was disappointed when I looked over my pictures that the name of the lake in the banner of the stained glass window didn't show up well.



Too bad it was another rainy Spring day in a long line of rainy Spring days. The restaurant has outdoor seating and sitting outside would have made a pleasant backdrop to dinner. Next time.


I was sitting by the window on the left and switched napkins because I wanted the blue one.


A Tuesday night and there was hardly anyone in the restaurant. I didn't mind.


My unsweetened, iced tea with lemon.



A brief history of Point Breeze. 


Though there were lots of selections on the menu. The restaurant is noted for its seafood selection. We started off with clam fritters with maple syrup.


A beautiful house salad with Balsamic vinaigrette dressing . And no cheese! I hate cheese. And there were black olives. Love black olives. I gave the Bermuda onion slices to Himself. I'm not a fan of onions.


Himself order Surf n' Turf. Steak, fried shrimp and a side of mashed potatoes.



I debated getting whole belly fried clams, but the weather was not fried clam weather (sunny, warm, but not hot and humid) I chose swordfish with lemon butter, and summer and zucchini squash.


While enjoying dinner we watched an intrepid boater (the black dot in the center of the photo) go from one side of the lake and back again.

The portions were more than generous so we had enough for an awesome lunch the following day. Do you want to build a snowman?


I had looked over the menu online before we got to the restaurant and decided I wanted the Apple Crisp. Most times, there's just no room for dessert and most desserts are not Keto friendly. We've been off the Keto reservation for awhile. I skipped the ice cream because in my family after the Brother had gotten sick eating seafood and ice cream, the combination became taboo. I didn't skip the whipped cream.

Himself order the Blondie Brownie Sundae.  Before desserts came out, a group of four women sitting at a table behind us had ordered dessert. They were all going to share the sundae. Himself saw the waitress bring them their dessert and said he was going to be sorry because


the dessert was enough to feed a small town. I had a taste and it was delicious. Most of the dessert was packed up to take home.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

28 comments:

  1. That food looks so good, I'm drooling over the keyboard! That's a great restaurant you went to, I hope you don't have to speak the unspeakable name three times before getting served.... Lake Webstah is easier! Thanks for sharing the lovely photos. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you don't have to say the name of the lake to get served, but it might make a good publicity stunt. Pronounce the name and get free dinner! :-D

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid I would have to pay!

      Delete
  2. The food looks really yummy. And HUGE! I haven't been to Webstah for decades. I can't imagine even the Nipmuc even saying that name. But it makes a great name to talk about. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue :-D

      Delete
  3. That's quite a mouthful...the lake name and all the yummy food! LOL
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After trying to pronounce the lake name, you need some good food to revive you. :-D

      Delete
  4. LOL There was an episode of My Lottery Dream Home with David Bromstad on HGTV where the couple looking for a home in Webster tried to teach him how to pronounce the name of the lake. Hysterical! Looks like you had a nice dinner (and lunch!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, yeah, I'll stick to Lake Webster ;) I love restaurants with outdoor seating options. I don't even mind heat and humidity, but rain's a deal-breaker. It looks like the inside offers good views, though. Unsweetened ice tea with lemon is what I had for National Tea Day, even though Southerners are supposed to favor sweet tea. That food looks delicious -well worth going back for a patio-sitting meal :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet tea makes me gag :-D The horrified looks when I've ordered unsweetened ice tea when traveling down South. :-D The food was great! I'm waiting for Summer I (first semester Summer session) to be over at the end of June. Himself will only be teaching on two days for Summer II so we'll be able to go back to the restaurant for lunch. OUtside. If it's still not raining!

      Delete
  6. The restaurant looks like a great place to eat, and the lake outside is a nice backdrop. The food and desserts looked delicious.

    Out of curiosity, I checked to see where this was on the map, and Webster is just north of the northeast corner of CT. But it's still pretty far from where I am in CT. By the way, have you ever been to Spider Gates Cemetery (old Quaker cemetery) in Leicester, MA (possibly at 15 Earle St)? I've wanted to go there for awhile, but it's too far for a day trip for that sole purpose.

    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never been to the Spider Gates Cemetery. Looked it up. Interesting. It's not far from me at all. Maybe I'll have to ask my friend, Teague, if she would want to go cemetery siting there.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos, CJ. Loved the narrative, too. However, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cheese. I'm not crazy about onions in my salad, but will eat them. However, I can't eat vinegar and oil. It makes me sick, so I always ask for ranch dressing.

    Your meal looked great, and those desserts were to die for. I'm sure you really enjoyed the leftovers as much the next day, too. Thanks for taking us to Point Breeze, sharing your iced tea, your meal, and your fabulous desserts with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember which restaurants don't smother their salads in cheese. Nasty stuff. Himself always gets ranch dressing, too.

      Delete
  8. I am not surprised there is a shorter version to use for that Lakes name, does it ever have to appear on an envelope address?
    Your food did look delicious, but the size of the portions wow, I think your next days left over meal would have been delicious as well.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the the Native American name of the lake had to be used, you can bet it would be 45 letters on the smallest envelope :-D As to restaurant portions, I think they are all super-sized. I'm never able to finish a meal and always bring home a doggie bag.

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous restaurant! The views look wonderful across the lake 😁. Your food looks amazing and you had loads of take out boxes, I'm going to be singing that song all day now ...lol 😉. Thanks for sharing your wonderful outing and wishing you a very happy T Day! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the food looks amazing-I would have loved your swordfish dinner-that is a huge sundae for sure.
    I heard of this town as someone there won the lottery and was on that tv show where they help lottery winners find a new home
    Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy yummy! Yummy, yummy! I have to check out the lake. Thanks for the link. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a couple of attractions on the lake. A water slide, and Indian Ranch for concerts Indianranch.com

      Delete
  12. Can anyone actually pronounce the name of the lake?! Wow, the size of those portions is huge, especially the dessert Himself ordered. Isn't it amusing how people trade off the food on restaurant plates? When hubby's main course comes with a salad, he keeps the tomato and cucumber slices, I get the rest. Says he doesn't eat rabbit food 😉

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are people that can pronounce the name of the lake as easily as you or I would say our name. Not many, but there are a few. I know some couples that get miffed if someone tries to have a taste of their food. Himself and I don't mind. Sometimes, we order different things just to get a taste of something else. And it's helpful if someone eats the things you don't like.

      Delete
  13. What an amazing place to eat CJ! All the food looks so yummy, especially the desserts! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food is excellent, but the desserts are out of this world.

      Delete
  14. OOhh this is a wonderful restaurant CJ !! but the name of this lake is too difficult to pronounce for me jaja.. Lovely meals and ohohhhh desserts!!
    I wish you a very nice new week,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete