Tuesday, July 9, 2019

T Stands for En Plein Air


My friend, Nan, asked if I wanted to go to a free Plein Air watercolor class. You can't beat free so I packed my bag, grabbed a bottle of water to double as beverage and paint water, and headed to



Riverfest 2019 in Sudbury celebrating the Concord, Sudbury, and Assabet Rivers on Saturday, 22.


For some reason, the instructor couldn't make the event so she sent one of her students to teach the class. There were two other students who had been doing plein air painting, and Nan, her daughter, and myself all newbies to painting outside.

The instructor didn't teach, but did a short demo. Basically, her instructions were to go paint and have fun. You were free to wander the paths or to stay near the parking area where she had set up. 

Behind the instructor was a building that had a deck with benches so that's where we decided to go. We would be able to watch the instructor or run over and ask a question or two.

The class was supposed to run from 10 am to 1 pm, but the instructor thought that was too long so she set the time for an hour and a half though you were free to spend the day. 




This was the area the instructor had chosen. Her method was a combination of painting what you observed and artistic license.



We got settled on the deck. The weather was beautiful, a real Goldilocks day. Not too cold or too hot. A bit of a breeze kept the bugs away, too. We had fun splashing paint, seeing how the medium worked, which brushes to use.


I think at my age, I'm a helluva kindergartner. Comparing notes with Nan after the event, we both decided that we should focus on one, small thing instead of the big picture.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

35 comments:

  1. This is so great CJ.. Kudos to you and Nan for getting out there! I've been watching Landscape Artist of the Year on YouTube and then i find you painting landscapes too.. how fun!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another friend had a serendipitous moment. Something must be in the air or water 😄

      Delete
  2. The painting is lovely! Sounds like a great way to spend a day. Today someone was sitting in the metro-station with a piano, and encouraging people to play a few notes or sing something - great idea! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sing like a hinge so wouldn’t have participated 😄

      Delete
  3. It was fun to try- and good that it was free though because it doesn't sound like the event or timing was well planned. Good job on your scenic painting! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things might have been different if the original instructor had been there. The student had never taught a class so she wasn’t prepared. But the class was free so no complaints

      Delete
  4. I like your painting, although that isn't such a great way to run a class, is it? But on the other hand, it was free, so it wasn't anything really lost. And you had fun from the sounds of it. Good thing you weren't alone or looking for something really "intense". Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, nothing lost and it was fun seeing Nan and her daughter

      Delete
  5. Beautiful day, beautiful painting! You nailed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun outing, especially with it being free! Your painting is fantastic. (Mine would be stick figures, so you're light years ahead of my skill set.) Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an event. I enjoyed your story and was so impressed you even DID this. Plein air is scary because there are others watching you. Thankfully, you were in good company, even if the event was not well planned.

    You draw and paint SO well. As I've mentioned before, I don't draw, and I don't paint anything recognizable. It's not in my wheelhouse. I think you did a fantastic job.

    Thanks for sharing this event and your water with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s good to get out of your comfort zone every now and then. Even better when you have a buddy with you.

      Delete
  8. A free painting class sounds like fun! What a beautiful place to have an art class. And the result is lovely!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The area was really pretty. It was the first time I was there. There was lots of things going on. Hiking, fishing, all sorts of outdoor activities.

      Delete
  9. "go paint and have fun". Now, those are instructions after my own heart :) And I love your description "a Goldilocks day" Perfect! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The have fun took the fear out of not knowing what I was doing

      Delete
  10. Wow, your painting is amazing! You captured the scene beautifully, it looks so relaxing and tranquil 😁. So nice to spend time with friends having crafty time too! Wishing you a Happy T Day! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It was a lovely spot and a pretty day

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a fun day. Your painting is wondrous.
    Love your cupcake background:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cupcakes in honor of birthday month. ☺️

      Delete
  12. lovely painting-sounds like a fun day too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Free en plein air class, huh? Sometimes you get what you pay for. Still it looks like it was a pleasant day. You are a helluva kindergartner. I wish I could be that free and fearless in art.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I’m aging, I’m finding I’m losing the shyness of participating in things I’m not so sure of.

      Delete
  14. You did a lovely job! Goldilocks day cracked me up...love that.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a great day/time. Did you stay the day? Although it didn't go as planned (no proper instructor) but it got you out and trying something different. It was free and that is also good.
    I think your painting is beautiful. I can't paint for the life of me, and I think you've done very well. You can be proud of yourself.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan and her daughter had errands to run so we left when it was over. Overall, a good day

      Delete
  16. I think your painting is lovely :)

    I was with my youngest grand-daughter recently and she loves colouring, drawing etc it will be interesting to see if this interest stays with her as she grows - I hope it does.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she’s encouraged to draw and color, the interest will stay with her

      Delete
  17. One of the hardest things for me is a landscape with a lot of greens - so many shades ...You did really good! I liked the peak of the path and then the boulder - .. i have only done plein air a few times and it was always in my yard. I keep wanting to go to my lake but I would be too self conscious of people walking by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but should I tell you the path is supposed to be the river and the boulder was a dirt patch with some scattered leaves :-D

      Delete
  18. You did excellent CJ!!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete