Thursday, July 4, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks


To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

The corporation had other things going. They purchased a manufacturing company in Florida which manufactured outdoor chairs and tables, etc. And it turned out to be a mistake. The products were good but the purchased company was not run by the Tenax board. They knew nothing about the practice of making garden furniture. And since the company had to borrow the money to buy the manufacturing company. They let those who were working there to run the company adn the income was not what was expected and the whole thing crashed.

In addition the refrigerator salesmen went into New Hampshire and used Massachusetts contracts to sell the refrigerators. Of course all the contracts were illegal. I straightened the matter with the attorney on the other side and game him a big deal and statement that he settled the case and failed it with the court. And in some sense it sort of made our Massachusetts contract look good. I don’t know how many contracts were affected that should have been New Hampshire contracts. And it resulted in my receiving a wrist watch for this. It’s a nice one.

But straightening a mess didn’t help. The Florida purchase caused the cash flow to decrease. And in Sept. of 1962, the lender pushed Texax Inc into bankruptcy. The company was GAC Service Corp. This was a big company. It was big enough that that it loaned money to banks. They kept me on to collect the money that Tenax had coming and I stayed with them to July 1963.

During this period I was always picking up business from another attorney named Michael Pizziferri.

And on July 7, 1963 I left GAC. I had collected as much as I could and that amount that was coming in did not cover the office expenses. They suggested that I could take the files and work from home. Which I did not want to do. Because there were hundreds of people to go after which would require storing lots of files  and do everything that needed to be done. Also we had a number of attorneys that specialized in collecting monies due businesses.

But it was not practical since most of the files were those that should be sued. And collections attorneys were not thought very well by the profession. Whoever took GAC’s files would have a hard time collecting money. These were people who bought the freezer and food and could not pay. The food supplier cut them off or were required to pay on delivery.


Today, 4. July 2019, would have been my parents' 76th wedding anniversary. This picture taken at my Uncle Bob's (Dad's youngest brother) at his annual 4th of July cookout. Of course, the picture is not labeled, but this picture looks like the late  1970s. That's a pretty fancy cake so I'm guessing a big number anniversary. I'm going with 1978, their 35th wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary, Ma and Dad!

12 comments:

  1. Nice story, your dad was kept busy with his job. Great photo of your parents, too. Happy 4th July! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a fun time at Uncle’s and he never forgot my parents’ anniversary. Makes me miss the old days

      Delete
  2. Happy Independence day, dear CJ. Always enjoy reading your father's memoirs. Quite an ordeal he went through in those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The early years are always tough for anyone starting out in a new career/business

      Delete
  3. What a cute photo of your parents. My parents would have had their 62nd anniversary last weekend. I hope you have a fantastic July 4. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is perfect so it will be a super day

      Delete
  4. Another great chapter. Happy Anniversary to your parents! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an awesome anniversary photo !! it's interesting how we can look at clothing, cars etc and "make a best guess" about an unknown time frame

    ☺☺♥♥

    and don't blame dad for not taking any files home; sounds like a lot of work....a BUNCH of a lot :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are clues in photos even if there are no dates or info on the back. Another big clue in the photo is the partial figure behind Ma. That’s me. So hairstyle and outfit gave me another clue

      Delete
  6. Happy 4th of July CJ! I hope you had a great one!
    I love the photo of your mom and dad! Priceless! They are so cute!
    Thanks for sharing more great stories from your dad!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fun holiday. And a happy memory finding the pic of the folks

      Delete