Sunday, August 4, 2019

The Gardens and Grounds on Enders Island


Last week, I was on retreat and attended the Sacred Art Institute on Enders Island in Mystic, Connecticut. The island is tiny, only 11 acres, but packed with beautiful gardens lovingly tended by volunteers.



The hydrangeas outside the chapel and across from Angell Hall where the studios are located.




Wild flowers at (my) little beach


A late blooming rose outside of St. Michael's, our dormitory


The show stopper are the dahlias. 


Still a bit early for them. They will bloom later this month. Some of the blooms will be big as dinner plates.


Everywhere you roam on the island are niche gardens and places to sit and pray, meditate, or just enjoy the beauty.


Lilies


The main house.



I found a stone kitty and a faucet with a little bird.



After dinner, a classmate and I had a cup of tea under the grape arbor


Sunset


Early in the morning, I went to the (my) little beach to wade in the water and do some Qi Gong exercises. I didn't notice them the first morning, but there were hundreds of tiny, hermit crabs. The ripples in the sand looked like highways, and the crabs were busy commuting and bustling to and fro. I called them sea spiders, and after I noticed them, I didn't venture very far into the water.


The Holy Gully. The gull claims the steeple as his perch. One morning a gardener was tending the tubs of flowers outside the chapel. The gull was not happy she invaded his space, and he let out a raucous chorus of his displeasure.

Valerie Weilmuenster, the instructor for the workshop told me a story. One day the gull had captured a crab as his prize. After Mass, when people were coming out of the chapel, the gull flung pieces and parts of crab shell on those below.


The gazebo with wonderful rocking chairs


One evening, I was enjoying my evening cuppa in the gazebo and watching the sunset when a loud boom caused me to jump nearly spilling my tea. Apparently, the yacht club across the way, practices a tradition of lowering the flag and shooting off a cannon at sunset. So much for the quiet, contemplative life on the island. 😸

When I was a kid we had to end our play when the street lights came on. I was amused thinking Mrs. Enders telling her children, "You can go outside to play after supper, but when you hear the cannon, it will be time to come in."


The yacht club.


One of the Qi Gong exercises I do is called Flying Geese. A herd of geese landed on the water to show me how it's really done.


My last morning on the beach. Bye, bye little beach and sea spiders. I'll see you when I return for another workshop in October.

How does your garden grow?

28 comments:

  1. What a fantastic place to be, I would enjoy visiting there. Love the idea of shooting off the canon. There's a little canon down at the Rhine, but it hasn't been used for a couple of hundred years. Thanks for sharing! Happy Sunday, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I've been to the island 3 times now. I don't ever remember hearing the cannon go off before. So the sound really startled me.

      Delete
  2. That was beautiful CJ. I could almost imagine being there with you. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fun if all the blog buddies could go there IRL

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous place. I think it looks like a great place to walk around. You saw some cool gardens ad I love the little stone kitty. And hurrah for going back in october. You must have loved your workshop as well as the island. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my third time on the island and the fourth workshop with Valerie. Her workshops are well prepared and students have a positive experience. Along with gorgeous art to show for their efforts. You'll see more this week.

      Delete
    2. No, Valerie lives in Florida. She teaches two workshops at Enders each year.

      Delete
  4. wow what an awesome place! who were the original owners?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anybody live at the retreat center? It looks like such a peaceful place, even given the cannon lol The volunteers do a wonderful job with those gardens. Beautiful! I'll bet the color in October rivals the summer flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fr. Tom lives on the island, and I imagine some staff do, too. There’s a substance abuse recovery program for young men 18 - 26 yrs. They live on the island while they are in the program. I’ve never been on the island in the Fall so I’m looking forward to seeing how different it looks with the change of seasons

      Delete
    2. Thx. It must be a peaceful setting for recovery work. I followed the link, and it has quite the complicated history. It's nice that the property is being used as intended. That has taken a lot of dedication. I'll look forward to Autumn leaf photos :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, this place is beautiful! I was hoping you would share photos, and you did. How nice to see all of the flowers they have planted. And I love that kitty statue you found. (Good eyes. I probably would've missed it.) It looks like you had a fantastic time there, while not in class, which I'm sure was also fun. I saw on their website that people are allowed to come and visit the grounds, so I think I need to make the 1.5 hour road trip there sometime soon. I hope you take a lot of photos again when you're there in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grounds are open to the public and people are free to roam the gardens, attend Mass (daily at 9 am), or just visit the chapel to see the exquisite artwork. The instructors who teach at the Sacred Art Institute have their work on display in the chapel and other buildings. You can bring a picnic lunch as dining services are only for retreatants.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful place! I so enjoyed visiting with you 😁 I hope you had a lovely weekend and wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs, Jo x
    p.s. sorry I haven't been visiting! I managed to bash my nose on a door handle over the weekend, my nose is not broken but I now have 2 black eyes developing. My nose is swollen and bruised so I can't wear my reading glasses which makes it very hard to blog as I can't see...lol 😉. I'll try and get up to date on your posts soon! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jo! I'm so sorry. I hope you are feeling better soon. On the plus side, you'll be turning all colors of the rainbow. How arty! =^,.^=

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place - I'm sure you will remember all of thees things for years to come! Lucky you going back in Autumn! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to going back. The island is such a peaceful, spiritual place to recharge creative batteries

      Delete
  9. I would love to go! So beautiful CJ! I was laughing about the Holy Gully! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed about the Holy Gully, too. And was he noisy!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness … what a fantastic place this looks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete