Thursday, August 1, 2019

Throwback Thursday


Ma and us, Winter 1956
The Brother is 6 going on 7
I am 6 or 7 mos old.
All About Me - Part 2

Last week, we left off:

Ma was  trying to get to sleep. She was  uncomfortable, and the sounds of the television was keeping her awake. She told Dad it was time, and to call Mrs. Stacy, the next door neighbor to come and stay with The Boy. And off Ma and Dad went to the hospital in Waltham, a half an hour or so ride.

Ma knew it was not TIME, but figured the hospital would admit her, send Dad home, as dads were not allowed in the delivery room, and she would get a good night's sleep. Her due date wasn't until August 4. The plan worked just as Ma thought. She was admitted to the maternity ward, and Dad went home and was able to catch the late news.

Dad wasn't home very long when the telephone rang. Though Ma had gone to the hospital on a false alarm to get some sleep, I had other ideas. Things must have happened very quickly.

Dr. McCarthy called to tell Dad, Ma had gone into labor and things were not good. The fall during her 6th month had cause problems, placenta previa where the placenta is birthed first. Not a good thing. The doctor told Dad he would probably be able to save the mother or the child, but not both. He wanted Dad to make the decision of who to save.

Now Catholic teaching would be for Dad to say, save the child. I'm sure as a father with a young son, he wrestled with the idea of how would he manage to take care of an infant as well as a young son. The decision was clear for him. Save the mother.

There was nothing Dad would be able to do. He said he dropped to his knees and prayed things would turn out okay.

Besides placenta previa, I must have also been a breech. That is, entering the world bottom's up instead of face up. Ma said the doctor worked hard to turn me around and get me going in the right direction. It's probably why I have such a poor sense of direction and issues with left and right.

While it was touch and go, obviously things had a happy ending as I am here. Ma had told me I was born at 6 AM on July 28, 1955. I never thought much about the time just took Ma's word for it. Not long ago, while having to get documents for a new license, I was looking at my birth certificate. Time of birth was listed as 0:06 AM. I'm sure with all that Ma went through, she didn't really know what time I had been born, but it looks like I was born 6 minutes past midnight.

Now Dad was relieved that all turned out well though he was disappointed I was not a boy. I knew this fact as a kid and it probably had a lot to do with me being a tomboy.

I was also the Little Princess and could twirl Dad around my little finger. He never disciplined me as he always felt a little guilty about the impossible decision he was forced to make. I only remember one time where I was disciplined by him. I was a teen and I had mouthed off to him. He raised his hand to slap me across the face and at the very last second, pulled the slap and tapped me on the cheek. A very light tap. ( Lighter even than the Bishop when administering the slap during the Confirmation ceremony. ) I was shocked that Dad dared raised his hand to me. It was the first and last time that ever happened.

Later in life when our roles reversed and I became the caregiver/parent, I was on my home after a round of shopping or appointments. Dad walked me to the car as he always did. He said, you know I was very disappointed when you were born and you weren't a boy, but I'm so glad you're my daughter. I'm so grateful for the way you and Himself take care of Mother and me.

17 comments:

  1. A difficult start in life, but you seemed to have turned out well, and I'm sure our dad adored you! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....it means so much to get affirmation from our parents! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, no matter how old we are, we still want that atta girl (or boy)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad everything turned out okay for both you and your Mother when you were born. And your Father's words to you about being grateful for all you and your husband were doing for them touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never doubted the love of my parents, but I’m so glad he gave the affirmation to me.

      Delete
  4. CJ; from one breach to another; happy belated birthday; I guessed in the last post... a few days late. !!! my mom had some issues as well, with my baby brother, wasn't sure he'd make it, but ..he did. I know that HAD to be THE worst decision your dad ever had to make ~~~~~~~~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were close! And I’m glad I’ve never had to make that kind of life or death decision for someone.

      Delete
  5. It is surprising that in 1955 they could save you both. Things are different now, thanks be to God.

    Your dad loved you very much, it is clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma had a very good doctor. And I was the apple of my dad’s eye. I knew it, too. 👸🏻

      Delete
  6. After years of knowing he wanted a boy, those words must have meant a lot to you.
    Wow. Your mom went through it, didn't she?
    You were an awful cute little thing. Still are:)
    Hope you're partying down today. Save me a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew Dad loved me and knew he was proud of me, but it meant a lot to hear him say it.

      Delete
  7. It was lucky that both you and your mom made it. Boy that would have been awful to grow up without a mom. Glad to hear it all worked out well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet your father's words meant the world to you!
    CJ, you are such a cutie pie!! I love that photo! Your mom is beautiful!
    When I came into this world, my mom had a simular birth, for me. She made the decision, to save me, if it came down to it. We both came out of it great! Like you did CJ!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete