Friday, February 19, 2010

The Friday Five


In an effort to cut down on the grocery bill, and the way my family goes through a package of cookies, I've been baking. I usually bake twice a week. I enjoy baking, especially the eating. My favorite things to bake are yeast breads. Five things I have baked this past month.


1. Hot Cross Buns. Love them and not just at this time of the year.


2. Hermits. square spice cookies with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and raisins. The Young One asked why they were called Hermits. Because they smell and taste so good, you want to keep them all for yourself and eat them alone. The recipe called for 2 cups raisins which I thought was too much for the amount of flour so I only used 1 cup.


3. Ugly cupcakes. A scratch yellow cake that instead of crowning spread out flat. I think the amount of baking powder called for needs to be adjusted. They looked fugly, but ate just fine. I only baked a dozen and opted to bake the other half of the batter in a square cake pan. Then I went and spoiled it all by using frosting from a tub. LOL


4. Cornbread. The recipe I have is a bit like mixing Jiffy Cornbread mix and Jiffy yellow cake mix only the recipe uses Bisquick. The cornbread bakes up sweet, more like cake and not gritty. It also uses a stick of butter so there's no need to butter the cornbread.


5. Cowboy Oatmeal Cookies. I have no idea why they are called Cowboy cookies. Just saw cowboy and had to have them (-; They are oatmeal and butterscotch chip cookies. They also taste fine with oatmeal and raisins and I bet they would be good with chocolate chips too.
Do you like to bake? What is your favorite recipe?

4 comments:

  1. Will you come and do some baking for me?!! All of your goodies sound so delicious!! My kids actually each took turns baking a pie over the past week. They decided on a chocolate pecan type pie--so I got to eat lots of pie this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, chocolate pecan pie sounds yummy. Where's my fork?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking is better than cooking as far as I'm concerned.

    I like to make cookies and devil's food cake with chocolate frosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello CJ, I thought I'd come on over and say Howdy. Thanks for commenting on the kitchen saga! I was drawn to comment on this post as I am a great lover of cakes and buns and have to walk miles with my dogs to use up the extra calories! :D

    ReplyDelete