Friday, March 22, 2013

The Friday Five

The Young One, age 4, and Mrs. Mallard
I don't have any specific plans on what I'll be doing on my artist retreat. The hotel I'll be staying at is right in the heart of the Back Bay. Most of the things I would like to do are a short walk or trolley ride from the hotel. I may do some, all, or none of these things as the mood strikes. I may just hang out in my hotel room.

1. Visit the Boston Public Library and go on their free Art and Architecture tour, and see the lions my Great Uncle Manny carved. Trade in my electronic library card for a real library card.

2. Have afternoon tea at the BPL

3. If it's not too cold (doesn't look promising) spend time in the Boston Public Gardens drawing and sketching.Walk along the lagoon (too bad the Swanboats won't be in service until May), visit the Make Way for Ducklings sculpture, and the Frog Pond.

4. Spend the day at the Museum of Fine Arts

5. Visit the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

6. and maybe visit the Mapparium at the Christian Science Library

6 comments:

  1. Boston is so small its an easy walk around city. Don't forget to check out Utrecht Art Supply if you're in the Back Bay-- it's just down Huntington Ave about a mile from the Pru-- and next door to that is Betty's Noodle Diner which is a great asian fusion restaurant not to be missed.

    You're also close to Chinatown and there are some great people watching restaurants there where you can have some authentic Dim Sum.

    There's a show of the Scholastic Art Winners for the State at the City Square Transportation building which is just off Copley Square-- 2nd floor and free.

    Don't forget to bring your WAM Badge for Free Admission to the MFA and if you're feeling adventurous don't forget the ICA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! And get your geek on (If you there for Pax you already have it) and check out three generations of Batmobiles at the World Of Wheels across the street from the ICA at the World Trade Center-- it has the real Batmobile, the Keaton one and the latest version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could go with you! I would LOVE to see the Mapparium! Have a great time on your artsy weekend retreat.
    (Wonderful picture of the Young One.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Andy for the great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete