Thursday, March 7, 2013

Healthy Scones, Sort Of

Another nasty weather day ahead as the storm that slammed the Midwest gears up to plow into my area between today and tomorrow. No matter. The family is home. So, while the weather dudes go back and forth about rain/snow lines and accumulations, I decided to bake scones.

I used a recipe from Smitten Kitchen's blog. I'm not a fussy cook. I left my Earth Mother days behind me long ago. I like to cook the way I used to write computer programs, quick and dirty. So I made some changes to the original recipe.

I substitute fat-free Half and Half for the heavy cream hoping that the end product will be a little healthier. On this go-round, I didn't have any currants or scones. I substituted mini-chocolate chip bits. In the picture, they sort of look like currants, but using them probably negates the healthy savings from using the fat-free Half and Half.

Cutting the scones into rounds or patting the dough into a cake pan, and then turning the cake pan on a cutting board and cutting the dough into triangles is too much effort for me. Not to mention extra items to load into the dishwasher. I just pat the dough into a rectangle about 3/4 - 1 inch thick. I cut the rectangle in quarters and cut the quarters into triangles, ending up with 8 triangles.

This morning on Andy Fish's blog, I read some health tips to increase longevity. One of the tips suggested standing was better than sitting, so I shall eat my scone standing up thus negating the use of the mini chocolate chips.

What are you doing today?

2 comments:

  1. chocolate chips? Now that's my kinda scone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, from now on I eat standing up! (the extra pounds will just melt away, right?) ;)

    ReplyDelete