Thursday, December 4, 2014

Throwback Thursday

My (maternal) grandma never baked us cookies like oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip. For all the holiday and special occasions, she baked her signature Bow Cookies. Crostoli, as they are called in Italian, are thin strips of dough, tied into a bow knot, and deep fried. Grandma piled them high on a turkey platter, drizzled them with honey, and sprinkled with multi-colored nonpareil balls. They were light and crispy. Heaven on a plate.

I had tried making them a very, long time ago for some holiday or other. My dad said they were not quite like Grandma's, but still very good. A high compliment.

The day after Thanksgiving, I decided to try again. Grandma never wrote down any of her recipes. If she did it would say a handful of this and a little of that. If the dough was too dry, add a little water. If too wet, add a little flour. I found an easy recipe with exact measurements  Crostoli at The Funky Foodgasm

Mine were still not as light as Grandma's. I still couldn't roll the dough as thin as she did. She didn't have a pasta machine and neither do I. (Well, I do. Found it at a yard sale and dedicated it to Fimo clay). Like Dad said, the bows weren't quite like Grandma's, but they were still good.

3 comments: