Monday, November 7, 2016

Gruff's Bench

Over the weekend, Prissy's children held a yard sale. It was sad looking out the front window seeing the kitchen chairs she and I sat in while sipping oceans of tea, the rocking chair I sat in, if we were in the living room. Then there was the garden bench.

The bench belonged to Prissy's husband, Gruff. He looked hard on the outside, but he was a very kind. If he bought his grandchildren candy, he gave the same to my girlies. The bench was Gruff's domain under a maple in the back, side yard. I can see him sitting on his bench, smoking a cigar and watching the world pass by.

I was debating about going over to ask how much the kids wanted for the bench. It would be a fine addition to the Zensical garden. An hour later when Himself came in from grocery shopping, the bench was still there. When Himself mentioned the bench was in the driveway, I knew I had to go across the street.

We chatted with Gruff, Jr. and his wife about the clean out and repairs going on at the house to get it ready for sale. When I asked about the bench, he said I could have it. Wouldn't take any money from us. He and his son even carried the bench across the street and set it up in the garden.

In the Spring, the bench will need some TLC. Sanding, staining, maybe a new coat of paint. It looks handsome in its spot as observer to the world passing by and a lovely reminder of a kind gentleman.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, CJ, that brings tears to my eyes.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. reminds me of the bench that belonged to my grandfather; he and I had many a conversation on it...I inherited it... and after years of weather, and "chats".... the slats finally gave out. My dad took the boards from it and made a tiny corner privacy fence and replaced the well worn wood on the frame with new~~~~~~~ ♥♥♥ I hope your bench brings as many happy memories as mine did ~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete